Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age for reading "Teen/Young Adult" books?

apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
So I'm really curious as to whether people feel people should stop reading books labelled as "teen" or "young adult" at a certain age, also if so what age?

So I'm the type of person who goes through phases of reading and not (I get easily put off). Now that I'm 19 I've been thinking I need to start reading real adult books, but most of them I've tried to I'm really not getting into- think it put me off reading again for a while. Anyways I've got a lot of free time right now, and I gave in and took out some teen/ young adult books from the library- I feel a bit guilty, but I'm really enjoying them. I feel more concerned about when I turn 20 next year, as I will no longer be in a teen year :/

Even my closest friends (who are even a bit older than me) read teen/ young adult books (but also adult ones too). And I was surprised to hear that the nurse (at my uni) is reading things like the hunger games and teen books (as she's in her 40s roughly). Hence this is why I'm interested to hear what others think.

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I dont really read however I'm 27 and read Holly's book. The manifesto on how to be interesting with is YA Fiction. However for me personally I find them a lot easier to get into. But like I said I don't read that often.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    That's cool :) yeah I find them easier to get into to. I don't really read that often- I haven't read a full book in over a year until recently (I got through phases where I read and don't), but I started reading again as so much extra time over summer, and I'm quite enjoying it so far - almost read my second book :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

Personally I don't think there is any set age, and coming from someone in their 30s ( :crazyeyes ) I devoured Hunger Games and I love Holly Bourne's books too. The main thing here is reading what you enjoy, it doesn't really matter what age you are.

It sounds like you're worried about what other people think or what you 'should' be reading at your age apandav?

Great to hear you getting back in to reading, finding a nice park in the summer to read can be a great way to kill time and watch the world go by. Or indeed just curling up on the sofa :yes:
  • Options
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Hey,

Personally I don't think there is any set age, and coming from someone in their 30s ( :crazyeyes ) I devoured Hunger Games and I love Holly Bourne's books too. The main thing here is reading what you enjoy, it doesn't really matter what age you are.

It sounds like you're worried about what other people think or what you 'should' be reading at your age apandav?

Great to hear you getting back in to reading, finding a nice park in the summer to read can be a great way to kill time and watch the world go by. Or indeed just curling up on the sofa :yes:

Haha, I'm glad to know that there are people past their teens and reading some young adult books - I think your right, if I'm enjoying it and its not doing any harm, then why not?

I think I just worry a bit about what people think, and I feel the need to "grow up" quickly/mature more quickly as I'm past 18 now, and going to be 20 next year - I just see people my age and think wow they seem so much mature and more grown up than me. I am mature in ways, yet I still live with parents, and they still have a reasonable amount of input in my life etc. That's probably another reason as to why I feel this way!

Both sound like nice ideas, I have a chair swing on my garden where I love to read :)

Oh guess what.... I just finished reading another book today - "Flawed" by Cecilia Ahern- its really good ( I really recommend it :yes: , especially for anyone who likes the hunger games).
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Read whatever you want to read - whatever your age. I'm 25 and happily read children's, YA and other books :) Reading is all about what you enjoy so there is no reason to not read something purely because of its grouping.

Heard an interesting debate on the grouping 'Young Adult' the other week - it's interesting how when aimed at that age group there is no sub-sectioning, e.g. crime, romance, adventure etc - they are all YA so you are more likely to explore genres rather than how they are classified when you get to "adult" books.
  • Options
    Great to hear your open to reading anything you enjoy :)

That is really interesting- I never thought of that but I know it's true (certainly at my own library etc.)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I'm in the same boat as Jo, love a good Holly Bourne.

You might be interested in this article - there was a survey a few years ago that showed 55% of YA readers are adults :)

http://www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/2015/feb/24/why-are-so-many-adults-reading-ya-teen-fiction

How do we define maturity I wonder? Could be a whole topic for discussion in itself... :chin:
  • Options
    Really interesting article, and I'm suprised by the large percentage of YA readers being adults!

And it makes a fair point, just because you turn a certain age doesn't mean all of a sudden you change your likes!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think there should be an age limit. All the matters is that you enjoy at you're reading. It's pointless sitting down with a book that you know you're not going to enjoy! I think the only reason they label it "teen/young adult" is so it fits into a category. Holly's book is awesome! I ready it and I've just turned 20 :)