Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

can sexting boost your sex life?

Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
sext_o_185119.jpg

Happy Monday! There's been a lot in the press recently about how sexting is a really negative thing, and there are certainly some problematic areas (just like sex, this should always be consentual :yes:) but then is it good to only focus on the negatives and not also acknowledge the positives?

For example, sexting can help introduce sex into a relationship...giving an idea of each other's likes and dislikes and starting to feel more comfortable with each other in this way in a less pressured situation :yippe:

It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts :chin: ... do you think sexting can help improve relationships? Would you ever use it in this way?
FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• ShatteredSecretsShatteredSecrets Posts: 186 Helping Hand
    I think it could be a good thing... like obv it is down to personal tastes. For example if you are in a situation where you cant be with your significant other a lot of the time it could/be a way of keeping things fresh and exciting. I personally see no problem with it as long as it is consensual and a bit of fun but its ok to do it as well as it being ok to not do it.. :naughty:

I am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

• Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Definitely some interesting points here @ShatteredSecrets - long-distance relationships can be hard to keep the same level of intimacy and so can see how sexting could help strengthen these relationships...equally as you say, keeping things fresh is good for any relationship. I think you've hit the nail on the head, as long as people feel comfortable to make the choice that's right for them then there is nothing wrong with it...

Be interesting to see whether this is an opinion that is shared across The Mix community...
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Haha, that meme... 68747470733a2f2f7374617469632d63646e2e6a74766e772e6e65742f656d6f7469636f6e732f76312f3336302f312e30

Anyway, just wanted to offer my take with more of a user hat on. I would personally agree with everything about introducing that intimacy in to a relationship; having that slope up to it can be much nicer than going straight in to physical stuff for some people, particularly if you're anxious about it for whatever reason. Exploration can be so important for sexual relationships and this can be a pretty good way to go about it. The point about long distance relationships is also a great one - trying to keep that spark alive can be a bit of a task without something to keep you going during the away periods!

Ultimately (as has already been said) I don't think there's anything wrong with it if you're comfortable and aware that whatever it is you're sending (whether it be messages, pictures, whatever) has a sort of permanence that verbal and physical things don't. Not that this is usually a problem as such, especially if you trust the person you're doing it with and everything is above board, or if you're just not bothered. Just something to be aware of.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.