Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

ESA / SICKNESS BENEFIT ADVICE PLEASE?!?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How does my ilness of depression, manic episodes, OCD, effect me to work?

The answer is exhausting, how do I explain this without overcomplicating the DWP in making an assessment into whether I qualify for benefit?

Do I even qualify? I just don't kno what to say to them.

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Hi Manic Suffering

Firstly welcome to thesite boards :wave:

Sounds very overwhelming and I'm sorry to hear things are tough at the moment. The issues with employment and work must be even more stressful too, on top of your mental health struggles.

I don't know much about housing benefit, but perhaps this article may be of use:

http://www.thesite.org/housing/renting/housing-benefit-9207.html

Also have you tried speaking to your local citizens advice?

Best Wishes :)

Also if you want any advice or support with regards to your mental health (as well as housing benefits etc.) feel free to post on TheSite- sometimes it helps me to have a rant :)
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with the benefits system, it can be really confusing so it's important to get help if you need it to make sure you're able to claim anything that you might be entitled to.

I'd suggest contacting Mind Infoline in the first instance - this is an information and advice line for people suffering from mental health issues and they can help to advise you on this.

Here is the info: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/helplines/

They should be able to point you in the right direction.

As @apandav mentioned too, your local citizens advice bureau can help by running a full benefits check with you, you can find your local bureau or contact them here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/

I'm just going to move your thread over into our Home, Law and Money forum too as you may get more replies there from others who have experience of this.

Wishing you all the best,
    Jo
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to remember that it's how your conditions affect your ability to work and not the names of your conditions. You have to give them as much information as possible. No-one is going to look at your forms and assume that your diagnosis means you have problems doing a certain task. They never make that assumption. You have to spell everything out to them.

I think, as mentioned above, you're better off getting professional advice over this. CAB have filled in many forms.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I totally agree with Melian!