Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What are your favourite online communities?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
online-community.jpg

Online communities are everywhere and changing all the time (how many of you had a MySpace account or remember Facebook when it looked like this?)

But which ones do you actually like/use?

We're doing a bit of work around the boards and are trying to get an idea of the kinds of things that work well in other places. So it'd be really interesting to hear about your:

1. Favourite community (the one you use/like most. Why?)

2. Least favourite community (the one you use/like least. Why?)

3. One to watch (the one you think is really cool, but isn't necessarily super popular (yet). Why?)

Some of the obvious examples are:
  • Facebook
  • Snapchat
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter
  • Instagram
  • Pintrest
  • YouTube
  • Other web forums?
Feel free to mention any others that you use :)
Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
James

P.s. for pretend bonus points, what do you think about the layout of this forum? (not the things they're talking about, just how it looks and works)
We're @Aife, @Ella, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 5pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1. My favourite community is probably tumblr and here. Tumblr because there are some really nice friendly people on there, I've met some of my closest friends on there and been able to help complete strangers. Here because the community is mostly friendly and it allows us to give/receive peer support from others in similar situations, rather than from adults who have no experience in said situations
    2. Least favourite would be Facebook, although I use it most of the time, I find it to be a very toxic environment, lots of bitchy people, everyone getting jealous of each other. Idk I guess it's just very depressing at times?
    3. I'm not really sure of one to watch out for, I only really know the ones that I use. I guess tumblr could be classed as one to watch out for?

About the layout of the one you've posted, I'm not too keen on it, I think it looks really bland and quite cluttered.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not too sure about that forum. I agree that it does look rather cluttered.

I've not used most of the examples you've mentioned. Have only really used youtube, tiwtter and Facebook
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    This really made me think, what would you consider a community? - For example, I love YikYak, the majority of my day, in lecturers, during breaks at work etc. Is spent on YikYak, engaging with the local student community, and the occasional graduate who pops on, it might be filled with students just expressing how horny they are, but it's bants.

Plus, I get like lodsa (^) - Which is a good thing! I'm also a massive snapchat and instagram person,I have a Vegan Getting Fit one, and a general one. Cause, why not (Instagram)? Plus, I spend a lot of time on Facebook, or when I can really, I must say, my facebook doesn't sound as Toxic as Hiccup's does however.

One I dislike most? - Community wise, I love YouTube video's, it just has a really shitteh community at times, and Twitter is okay, just not one I would regularly use really.

And legit have no idea on the last one...Here, maybe?