Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CAMHS: What do/did you want to know?

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
logo.jpg

CAMHS is a lot of things to a lot of people, both good and not so good. A lot of those not so good things are down to the fact that it's actually quite hard to find out what it is and how it works. Even the name is a bit confusing - it takes a while to work out how to spell it, even after you realise that it stands for 'Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services'..

Fortunately, we're trying to demystify CAMHS with a new series of videos explaining what it is, how it works, what the first appointment is like and what happens when you turn 19.

We think we've got a good plan, but we really want to hear from you guys to make sure we cover everything. So...

Do you have experience with CAMHS? If so, what was it like at the beginning and what questions did you have? What would have been helpful to know from the start and (if you've moved on) near the end?

If you don't have experience with CAMHS, what would you like to know?

We'll collect your questions and try to make sure they're addressed in the videos :)

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Dunno if this is the sort of thing you're looking for James :p but hey'o.

I was in camhs from about the age of 12, I didn’t really understand what it was at first and kept questioning if I was in-fact Mental, I remember my main question being “Does this mean I have a mental health problem” Being a young carer to a mentally unwell mother and then being referred to a mental health service was awful. I just needed someone to tell me I’m not mental. I’m not crazy (well I probably am now ;)) and that its fine.

I remember asking what I was supposed to speak about, where they going to fix my brain or put me on medication. What was the confidentiality policy like. Which apparently isn’t the same as your normal counselling…they will tell your parents you’re in counselling no matter how much you beg them not to!

When I finished camhs I think my main question was just “okay, so whats now…Am I on my own again” To be picked up for adult mental health services you basically had to be seriously mentally unwell, Have an eating disorder and self-harm? Nah no chance they’ll laugh you away…..I knew this, so I just remember thinking “I’m going to be on my own”

I still to this date, don't know what else CAMHS do except put you on medication and counselling...is there anything else they can support you with?