Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Too curvaceous to be a model?

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
The fashion industry is no stranger to issues around body image.

According to the BBC, a model, who is smaller than a size eight, has posted an open letter on Facebook claiming she was put under pressure to lose weight because she was deemed "too curvaceous".

Charli Howard, who is 23, received many messages of support after posting the statement alleging her agency - who she does not name - dropped her because of her size.
She said: "I refuse to feel ashamed and upset on a daily basis for not meeting your ridiculous, unobtainable beauty standards."

Take a look at the full BBC article here.

What do you think about Charli taking a stand? Is it a good way to reduce the pressure to be stick thin? Can you think of any other ways?

Comments

• apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    I wish there was less pressure to be like a size 8. Fair enough some people are healthy size 8's but other sizes can be healthy too. Depends on shape and build.

Plus I guess if your happy in your own skin that's good. I wish I was.......
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    apandav wrote: »
    Fair enough some people are healthy size 8's but other sizes can be healthy too. Depends on shape and build.

Plus I guess if your happy in your own skin that's good

Great points there apandav :yes:

Sounds like you personally feel lots of pressure to be closer to a size 8. That must be pretty tough. Do you have any thoughts on where that pressure comes from?
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    James wrote: »

Great points there apandav :yes:

Sounds like you personally feel lots of pressure to be closer to a size 8. That must be pretty tough. Do you have any thoughts on where that pressure comes from?

Personally, I wouldn't say necessarily a size 8, as I am quite tall but I do want to be "smaller".

To be honest, I think a lot of pressure comes from myself and comparing myself to others. Also, my mum has a big part in it too- we are a similar shape and size, she always complains about her weight, which makes me feel bad too. Then she makes comments to me- like you've put on weight etc. Im not even that big for my height BMI wise, but I do feel I could loose a bit.

That leads me to another point, everyone is naturally a different build- e.g. taller people will naturally be bigger (depending on shape).

P.S. apologies , I do tend to rant a bit :d