Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being replaced by best friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I've known my 'best friend' since the start of secondary school and I'm now in my last year. Shes always been the louder, talkative, funny one whereas I've always been kind of the opposite - pretty shy, and not as confident one. Which may seem odd but anyay. Well at the start of this hear she was talking to this other girl a lot (let's call her Emma). They new each other from previous years but not untill now have they become close. Now my friend hangs out with her all the time in school and out. They r always together at lunch and go to each others houses. But that's what we used to do. So I started going with other people for lunch because she was with emma. My friend then says to me how I never see her any more or text her when in actual fact, shes been the one not texting me or bothering to have lunch with me. I even invited her to my house for a sleepover twice and both times something came up last minute like work or something else and she couldn't come. Then I asked her to go to lunch together down the street. So I waited for her for 10 minutes and she never showed up. Then someone tells me oh she already went down the street with emma. Shes always been the one saying how we r best friends and now she says emma is her best friend. The odd time she says I am as well but she makes it very clear how much she likes emma. They went on a wee holiday together to the place she asked me to go to about a year before and then invited her instead and said "you didn't seem interested anyway". (Which wasn't true) they always laugh together and my friend tells me all about what they have done together but in a normal way. Have to say though, it hurts. Im not the jealous type and I'm trying not to be but it just makes me sad. I feel like emma has replaced me and that my friend likes her better cause she's funnier and more talkative than me. Which is true. Sorry its soo long but I justbhad to spill it all out. What should I do, as I've said I'm shy so I don't make friends easily. Am I tight to feel depressed?

Comments

• Options
    There's a big difference between hurt/sad and depressed - try not to put a label on anything.

This situation sounds a horrible one to be in and I'm sorry you're feeling replaced *hug* have you spoken to your best friend about how this is making you feel? Honesty is always the best option even if it doesn't feel easy. Perhaps she doesn't realise exactly what she's being like.
  • Options
    apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Sending *hug* s. I agree with butterfly ^
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply :) I haven't really spoken about it to her cause in a way I think that might make things worse and akward. But I think I'll just have to get on with it. I can't wait till schools over anyway and hopefully I'll make friends that are more like me at uni.
  • Options
    Hi smithsmall:)98,

There is no "wrong or right" about feeling sad - this is what you feel and it's important! From your post it does sound like things have changed in this friendship and this will inevitably leave you feeling hurt and left out. As others have said, speaking to her about how you feel could be good? Not only will it perhaps make you feel better, but maybe she has no idea about how you feel? You mention she says you're the one who isn't in contact etc, so maybe she feels the way you do too?

It can be hard to meet new people, especially when shy. Perhaps there are groups/classes/activities, even outside of school that you could join?

Have a look at our articles on confronting a friend, meeting new people and shyness which could help.

Do let us know how things go for you, good luck *hug*