Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice anyone?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm just turned 18 and me and my parents don't get on. My dads going on about me having to move out but I'm still ago college and only have a part time job which isn't enough to cover renting somewhere, bills, food ect... What can I do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Welcome to TheSite. I hope you will continue with the forum to inform us your progress.

What does Mum say? What is that your parents do to make you feel so down? Do you help them in the kitchen like my daughter does? Do you go out of your way in being accomodating to your parents who I assume work, come home tired out only to have to cook and later find their emptied plates left to one side unwashed. I'm not suggesting that you are guilty of this, but question why they want you to leave home.
  • SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi Bekk

Welcome to TheSite :) I'm sorry to hear tensions are running high in your house and your father wants you to move out. There are all kinds of reasons why arguments happen at home and sometimes it can help to try and work things out before making any drastic changes.

It might help to have a conversation with your parents about how they feel about you living there. The fact that you're at college and unable to support yourself independently is important and it's likely to be obvious to them that you can't move out just yet. If arguments are arising due to specific things such as household chores, lack of space or particular behaviours, maybe there are some practical suggestions which could smooth things over (having a cleaning rota, for example, or agreeing a certain amount to pay in rent).

If things have reached a point where it's no longer feasible for you to stay there, it might be a good idea to have a chat with the support services at your college. Sometimes colleges are able to advise on housing options or provide a place to live for students while they're studying. This might not always be possible but it might be something worth considering.

Let us know how you get on,

SarahR