Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

got any good sentence started for telling a teacher that you self harm? (Need Idea's)

Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
I really want to tell my teacher at college that i self harm when i go back next month but i dont really know how to get the conversation started, do i say can i speak to you in private or something like that?
''You were in the wilderness
Looking for your own purpose
Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey jpeople,

I think you're doing a really brave thing and you should be proud of yourself *hug*

When I wanted to talk to my teacher at sixth form, I went up to her and asked if I could talk to her about something so she took me to an empty room and I remember trying to tell myself how to go about it in that moment. I was thinking, she was waiting for me to say something, so I literally just said "I've been cutting myself" and that's all that needed to be said. She gave me a hug and then she simply took control of the conversation which I was utterly thankful for.

My advice would be to keep it simple. I know when I wanted to talk to my teacher, I was seriously over thinking the whole situation and it sent my anxiety sky high. The conversation will happen as it's supposed to happen - I don't think you need to plan it at all. Ask if you can talk to your teacher about something personal and take it from there. Alternatively, you could write it down if you think that would be easier for you and then have a conversation after your teacher has read that initial message.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. It'll be okay. I think you wanting to talk to this teacher screams in itself that she will do all she can to be there for you because it's a hard thing to tell anyone, and if that trust is there for you to feel able to, then it can only be a really positive thing.
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Just wanted to wish you the best of luck when you tell your teacher! *hug*

I think butterfly summed up things pretty well!

Have you thought anymore about how you plan to tell your teacher?
  • Jacob101Jacob101 Posts: 687 Incredible Poster
    Thank you apandav, in the first or maybe the second week back at college im going to go up to my tutor and tell them that i need to talk to them about something in private or instead of going up to him and saying that i might just send an email saying, is it possible if i could have a quick chat with you in private.

Then when the chat happens im going to hand him the letter, the one i typed out above and then talk more about it, im really hoping it goes well because im stressing myself so much about it.
    ''You were in the wilderness
    Looking for your own purpose
    Then you became a butterfly, a butterfly
    I knew you always would''

- James Arthur (YOU)
  • apandavapandav Posts: 2,072 Boards Champion
    Sounds like a good idea jpeople! Good luck :)

Hopefully it will be one of those things that once it's done you think "oh that wasn't so bad" .