Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where to buy Euros?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Going abroad next month and looking at where to buy Euros. When I last went abroad, (2005) we just got them from what was then my bank. But is there anywhere better to get them?

Any other advice regarding Euros and travelling with them (I'm sure there are better ways than carrying Euros around with me!)

(and is this better off in Travel?)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have a look at http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com.

I have a Halifax Clarity credit card for overseas travel. I don't get charged a currency fee or a cash withdrawal fee, and I get the best possible exchange rate on the day I use the card, so I just take cash out of an ATM as and when I need it.

That's not the best solution for everyone though.

The big rule is don't buy at the airport. And check your bank's account fees if you do decide to use a card abroad (and bear in mind that using a card to buy cash at a Bureau de Change is treated as if you were using the card abroad).
    Thank you :)
    I emailed a friend who I'm going with. He told me to get some from the post office. He told me that he has a card he uses when he goes overseas, which we can use.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I normally use the post office. It seems to be the best in my experience. They also do a Mastercard travel money thing which might be safer if you don't want to carry loads around (but beware that you will be charged per withdrawal / transaction, read the small print!)
    I think that's the sort of thing I'm after. (I also plan to go away in July / August and won't be with my friend; so need another option) I can't get a credit card. (my only income is benefits) My bank, if I've understood correctly, charge quite a bit for using my debit card abroad.

Thank you
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Most shops that promote Holidays do money exchanges, that's where we've always got ours from! Post Office is also a good one, its best to go around comparing prices, and asking for the price of the £1 to get your best deal :heart:
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It's not a Mastercard in the traditional sense, it's a kind of load the balance before you go thingy so might still be worth a look.
    I've spoke my friend again and asked if he knows anything about those pre paid cards. He said no and advised me to look at money saving expert. I've looked there and there are a few better ones around than the post office. But the post office do offer the best exchange rate on euros currently.
    They talk about the pre-paid cards on the MoneySavingExpert website, they work for some people and not for others. Have a read of the travel money articles on MSE.

The Post Office haven't offered the best rates for a little while now. IME the supermarkets offer good rates, especially Asda, and M&S always offer competitive rates.
    Last time I went away I got myself a FairFx card. You can top it up at any time at their given exchange rate through their mobile app which is nice. I topped it up as I needed it while I was in America. They do a dollar card and a euro card. They charge a fee to get one but if you use my referral code it's free; https://www.fairfx.com/ref/mvqt0

I've also recently signed up to Supercard (http://supercard.io) which was featured on MSE. They're in a limited trial but it might be worth looking into in the future.
    Thanks. I have noticed that fairfx have been advertising on TV a lot recently so shall look into them again. I did get some Euros yesterday from the post office. She did offer me a pre paid card. Because I didn't have my passport on me, she couldn't give me one.