Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pay Deduction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am on a salary and was off sick 2 days last month. When I got my payslip it turns out they deducted money for my sick days but they did it before tax, not after. Is this allowed as it seems really unfair as i would not have earned some of that money anyway! Please could anyone who knows about this advise? Thank you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How would you have expected the money to have been deducted?

I'm not sure what you mean by "it seems really unfair as i would not have earned some of that money anyway"?

The time you didn't work is not subject to tax, because the deduction was made before the tax was calculated. This is the only way it can be worked out...
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but you can't be deducted pay for being off sick if you are salaried.

They wouldn't be obliged to pay you. You'd get SSP I suppose but that could be less than regular pay. Anything above that is going to depend on T&C.
    Mist wrote: »
    They wouldn't be obliged to pay you. You'd get SSP I suppose but that could be less than regular pay. Anything above that is going to depend on T&C.

you are correct here, whether you are salaried or not you can still be deducted for sick days, depending on your companies policies on sick leave, I would recommend looking at your employees handbook, if you don't have one ask for one, they can not refuse you, and look in your contract of employment to see if you are entitled to sick leave....my current place of work allows 5 days sick a year on full pay then it goes down to SSP....... but ever company is different. and on the subject of SSP you will only receive this after the first 3 days of being off sick..... with a doctors note.
  • GregGreg Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hi Amalthea

I'm sorry to hear about your situation with your workplace. I'm not quite sure what the answer is so there may be other avenues that you can take to get a better answer. Have you ever considered going on ACAS website? They offer great advice on employment issues.
    I don't really know much about this particular topic but from what I have gathered u said u took two days off because u were sick which u cant help but if u signed a contract before u started working for them it would of either said u would be entilled receiving sick or not.

Sounds like the contract said ur not entilled so that means they were right for doing that. they would of been able to reduct the pay during that u were sick and because u came back knowing u get paid there were further reductions from the tax so that's proberly why u haven't got much.

Maybe u should to ur employer further when they reducted the pay and keep a diary of dates of when u got paid and how much for so when u do next get paid u can keep a record of it in case anything does happen in the mean time and also get a mini statement out from ur bank to see exactly when u got paid and what date but unfortunately they would of been right in this instance.

This I'm sure wouldn't happen again as now ur aware of it u may not take as much time off in the future but not say u can't when ur ill. You can't do nothing about it if ur ill.

I hope that helps x