Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Landlord updating Fixtures/Fittings?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi All

First post here (I'll into myself on the correct thread in a sec...).

After a little info if possible.

I privately rent with my girlfriend and our 11 week old baby. Our rented house is managed by a lettings agency who have previously indicated that the bathroom may be due an upgrade (it should be, looks older than the ark bath is visibly old although not leaking, taps are clearly old and the toilet "outflow" pipe has a leak which has been temporarily repaired with what appears to be a plastic bag and some tape....the reason for this technique was that "the toilet is at the wrong level for the waste pipe, cant do a proper repair without ripping the bathroom tiles up and we aren't here for that" (or words to that effect, happened a few months ago and I wasn't at home) and some pipes are too big which makes for a REALLY slow water feed).

My question is this....is there anything in legislation which says that these kind of items should be kept up to date (like a time frame for how old they should be etc)??

Comments

• Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi cctj

That's a difficult one. The first thing with housing issues is to check the wording of your contract. I imagine it will mention sanitation, but probably only in terms of it functioning.

Shelter are always a good place for housing law questions. You can call them on 0808 800 4444 in England and Scotland, and on 0845 075 5005 in Wales (open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 8am-5pm at the weekend). It's free from UK landlines and main mobile networks (Vodafone, O2, EE and Virgin Mobile).

I hope that helps, and I hope you get a nicer bathroom soon.