Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sacked

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:lol:Hi, I was sacked yesterday for gross misconduct, they think I stole money but it was a genuine mistake. I don't know what to do, I was only there 7 months and my previous jobs were long term and never any honesty issues. Do I need to even mention this job in applications , I'm pretty certain I get get good references from former employers :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Welcome :)

Honestly I wouldn't put it on there if it was by mistake :) u done it :) also it depends on jobs asking others about it if that make sense
  • Options
    :lol:Hi, I was sacked yesterday for gross misconduct, they think I stole money but it was a genuine mistake. I don't know what to do, I was only there 7 months and my previous jobs were long term and never any honesty issues. Do I need to even mention this job in applications , I'm pretty certain I get get good references from former employers :mad:

It's a difficult one. On one hand, you don't want to draw attention to the whats and whys behind you losing your job, however if a potential employer notices a gap in employment which isn't explained, they will probably question it.

Have you sought advice from Citizens Advice about this? It's hard to tell if by "genuine mistake" you mean you stole the money by mistake or if you mean that nothing actually happened. If you didn't steal the money, this is unfair dismissal and you could form a legal case against the company. If you did take the money then, unfortunately, the company were fully within their rights to dismiss you and they aren't obliged as far as I know to write you a reference or supporting letter.
  • Options
    It was cash back dispensed from a self scan machine left by a customer. I had it with a copy of the receipt ready to give to the customer service desk but they were busy, so I dealt with a couple of customers, they were still busy so I popped it in my pocket to give them when it was quiet.....and forgot it was there. Jacket was waiting to go in wash when they asked me and I rushed home to get it, but they decided I intended to keep it I have never stolen anything and feel that if I have to mention it in interviews etc they won't believe me
  • Options
    I could suggest contacting Citizens Advice. They will be able to give you more information as to whether this was unfair dismissal; due to the fact that it is your work against the company's and there's no real proof or evidence either way, it's really hard to say whether it was fair or not.

They will also be able to give you better advice with regards to what to put on future job applications. As I said above, an gaps will be noted and questioned.