Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Writing qualificiations on CV

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am currently giving my CV a work over since I saw a disability employment advisor during last week and she gave me a sheet of what it should look like.

I've been on looking on the internet for suggestions on how to write a CV and I have a few examples saved.

Currently I have wrote all my qualifications down what I achieved when I did my NVQ in Bus Admin.

I have it set out like the following-

NVQ2 Secretarial Business Administration Skills
NVQ2 Certificate received
CLAIT: Stage 2 Certificate received
Integrated Business Administration: Stage 2 Certificate received
Word Processing 1 Part 2 Certificate received
Word Processing 2 Part 2 Certificate received
Text Processing 1 Part 1 Pass
Text Processing 2 Part 1 Pass
Medical Word Processing 2 Part 2 Pass
Legal Text Processing 2 Part 1 Pass

Now I'm wondering what I can do to minimize all those lines to save some space on the CV.
Or, should I leave them as they are?

Any suggestions?

(Please note: My results will not format properly, they should be 'tabbed' and all in a line under one another)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Edit: Also what would you write for a Personal Profile?
    :)
    Profile:
    Iam bubley friendly person
    Team work
    Hard worker etc

Work expances:
    What u done volunteer/ work

I worked on a farm,
    I help muck out the horses ect

Example :
    Working with children farm (what I did)
    what u done for ur 2 weeks expance u done in school

Education
    What u did exams grade u got

Others things u done
    Like I did my d of e

Hobbies: and interests

Hope this helps
    angel wrote: »
    Profile:
    Iam bubley friendly person
    Team work
    Hard worker etc

Work expances:
    What u done volunteer/ work

I worked on a farm,
    I help muck out the horses ect

Example :
    Working with children farm (what I did)
    what u done for ur 2 weeks expance u done in school

Education
    What u did exams grade u got

Others things u done
    Like I did my d of e

Hobbies: and interests

Hope this helps

Thanks, but that is not what I asked. I don't want to know how to write a Curriculum Vitae.

I want to know if anyone has any suggestions on what to write in a Personal Profile. Also, if I should somehow shorten my NVQ qualifications.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    It depends: it's important to keep your CV succint. However, if you need to bulk it out at all, it could be good to keep the NVQ Qualifications in.

In your personal profile you should just have one or two lines kind of summarising you as a person, and what you're looking for.

e.g
    Outgoing and hardworking, with strong attention to detail and experience in secretarial work, I am currently looking for both long term and contract work in typing.

Basically something about you and link it to what you're looking for.
    In obvious reasons I'm not sure if I would write "I'm looking for work in ...." as it may may appear to them that your mind is only set on finding that one job that you're mostly interested in and you don't want to do something else.

I've spent all day looking at my 'Personal Profile' and I've come to the conclusion that I need some professional help in the subject, so on my next sign-on day, I'll be getting them to make me an appointment with someone who deals with writing CVs.
    It might be good to tailor your CV to each application you do, so change that bit each time. It would then look more like you are more passionate about a certain area as opposed to it seeming you are desperately scraping the barrel for anything going at all.

Sounds good to see the CV advisor.
    I wouldn't say the person is a 'CV advisor'.
    SpinTires wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the person is a 'CV advisor'.

Please ignore what I said earlier

Been looking on the net for some ideas on what to write for my Personal Profile and I've come up with the following-

Having worked in a food production factory for ten years, I am now looking for a job with more prospects in developing my skills in computing. I consider myself to have quick typing skills, I know my way around the computer and I am interested in Online sales and Digital Marketing.

I am a friendly and hard working individual who has experience in working as part of a team and also works well under his own initiative. I have a good eye to detail and I am keen to learn new skills and undergo further training if required.

I think I will have to change some of the sentences and make it sound more 'professional' and there's no doubt that the CV Advisor will say he doesn't like it.

There's so many website out there who offer free examples of CVs, so I'm guessing there's no right or wrong way in writing one. I've done a few examples, I may decide to print them and see if he likes them.
    Sounds perfect!
    I find most companies these days don't even care what you write in a personal profile (I generally don't bother now). I would personally leave the second sentence out, my personal opinion towards it is it's dribble that every had on their CV at some point, the kind of thing you feel obliged to say when it's what they expect if you're applying for a job.

I would change how you add it to your CV and word it into your previous job descriptions, like with working in a food production factory, you have a good attention to detail etc.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I find most companies these days don't even care what you write in a personal profile (I generally don't bother now). I would personally leave the second sentence out, my personal opinion towards it is it's dribble that every had on their CV at some point, the kind of thing you feel obliged to say when it's what they expect if you're applying for a job.

I would change how you add it to your CV and word it into your previous job descriptions, like with working in a food production factory, you have a good attention to detail etc.

I would mostly agree with that. If there's something that you'd want to say that was relevant for your application then put it in, but keep it short.
    Generic guff about being a 'hard worker', 'team player' with a 'eye for detail' doesn't really set you apart from any of the other CV's they'll likely to get.

Your CV is your chance to sell yourself, so make it stand out.
    Weekender Offender 
    No need to comment on this thread any more.

I'm seeing an advisor next week.
    This bit -

NVQ2 Secretarial Business Administration Skills
    NVQ2 Certificate received
    CLAIT: Stage 2 Certificate received
    Integrated Business Administration: Stage 2 Certificate received
    Word Processing 1 Part 2 Certificate received
    Word Processing 2 Part 2 Certificate received
    Text Processing 1 Part 1 Pass
    Text Processing 2 Part 1 Pass
    Medical Word Processing 2 Part 2 Pass
    Legal Text Processing 2 Part 1 Pass

I would phrase as -

NVQ2 Secretarial Business Administration Skills :
    NVQ2 Certificate, CLAIT: Stage 2 Certificate, Integrated Business Administration: Stage 2 Certificate
    Word Processing 1 Part 2 Certificate, Word Processing 2 Part 2 Certificate, Text Processing 1 & 2 Part 1 Pass,
    Medical Word Processing 2 Part 2 Pass, Legal Text Processing 2 Part 1 Pass

Same info, fewer lines.
    I consider myself to have quick typing skills, I know my way around the computer and I am interested in Online sales and Digital Marketing.

This is ineffective.
    I can type at X WPM, I am proficient in the use of Windows Server and client operating systems, and I have particular interest in working with online sales and marketing websites.

Give actual data about what you can do / know.
    Thank you for your input Mist.

I have edited the CV so much in the last few weeks. I have included my qualifications on a separate page.

Although I've been working on my profile, I'll be seeing an advisor tomorrow and I'll ask him/her to see what they think I should write.

While carrying out research on the internet, it appears that a lot of people have different ideas on how to write a CV. I'm getting a feeling that no one really knows how to write a professional CV nowadays.
    SpinTires wrote: »
    While carrying out research on the internet, it appears that a lot of people have different ideas on how to write a CV. I'm getting a feeling that no one really knows how to write a professional CV nowadays.

It's very subjective, of course, so there will be differences.

For me, when I'm looking at CVs, I want them to -

Stick to the point (avoid waffle)
    Give good, relevant, detail about previous positions
    Be well presented (no spelling/grammar issues, good layout, consistent font choice)

Anything over that is a bonus, really. You can include a little bio, but that's a double-edged sword and, really, if we like the skills on offer then the person bit can be decided at interview.
    Thought I might give you an update.

I had my CV rewritten by an advisor last week.

This is how he wrote them..

NVQ2 Secretarial Business Administration Skills - Pass (NVQ2 part left-aligned and the word 'Pass' right-aligned)

Modules included were:
    • Integrated Business Administration
    • Word Processing
    • Text Processing
    • Medical Word Processing
    • Legal Text Processing
    Yep, that makes sense.