Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can I claim income support of any kind?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Guys,

I am 18 years old.I work 4 days a week and go to college a day and a few evenings a week.My wage isn't that high at all really but is still something, which is good though.I am still living at'home'and my family do not receive any benefits at all for me since I am working and going to college.

I get a low wage AND my parents are not entitled to anything for me(which I believe is totally wrong.I wont say why as I dont want to offend anyone.Lets just say that I can be quite opinionated sonill shut up here...)...So,my question is,Am I entitled to low income support?

Thank you xx

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I wouldn't have thought so, no.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so, no.

Do you know for sure?
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey AngelFace

The world of benefits is murky and confusing :confused:, we have an article on income support that is really helpful it explains that:
    If you’re 18 and over and want to claim, you need to be able to show that:

You work less than 16 hours a week
    You have a low income
    You’re not in full-time study (although there are some exceptions to this rule, and part-time students may be able to claim)
    You don’t get JSA or ESA
    You don’t have savings above £16,000

Citizen’s advice volunteers know all about the benefits system and can help you understand what you could be entitled to. You can visit your local bureau to get face-to-face advice and support. You must remember to bring along details of your benefits and general financial situation.

Hope this is helpful...I know it is really confusing but Citizen's Advice are really helpful and can give you expert personalised support.
    PGreen wrote: »
    Hey AngelFace

The world of benefits is murky and confusing :confused:, we have an article on income support that is really helpful it explains that:

Citizen’s advice volunteers know all about the benefits system and can help you understand what you could be entitled to. You can visit your local bureau to get face-to-face advice and support. You must remember to bring along details of your benefits and general financial situation.

Hope this is helpful...I know it is really confusing but Citizen's Advice are really helpful and can give you expert personalised support.

Hello

Thank you very much!This was a very helpful reply and I will definitely look into this.

Im only a few weeks passed my 18th birthday and money is stressing me out already argh!I am good at saving and hardly ever waste any.Working peoole seem to get a lot less money and help than others including those on like sooo many benefits or who move into the UK....xx
    Im really sorry if that reply seemed rude :'( xx
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi AngelFace, I just wanted to give you a link to this benefits calculator - http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

It can't give exact answers, but usually gives a pretty good idea of anything you might be entitled to. Still go and see Citizens Advice if you're struggling though.

Hope you can find a way to make things work.
    Danny! wrote: »
    Hi AngelFace, I just wanted to give you a link to this benefits calculator - http://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/AboutYou

It can't give exact answers, but usually gives a pretty good idea of anything you might be entitled to. Still go and see Citizens Advice if you're struggling though.

Hope you can find a way to make things work.

Hello,

Thank you for the link to that.I gave it a go and it said I am not entitled to any financial help!What else can I do?

Plus,I am also a british taxpayer and my money goes to sooo many other people instead of me
    ?I need it too!

Xx
    Full time students aren't entitled to income support unless they have a child under 5.

If your wage is that low, you'd have to work more hours like every other student, I'm afraid.
    Plus,I am also a british taxpayer and my money goes to sooo many other people instead of me
    ?I need it too!

You mean people like me who have severe physical disabilities plus a learning disability which makes everyday things you take for granted impossible? I would love to work; but being on medication which cocks me mentally even more makes it impossible.

You have no idea how lucky you are to be able to do things like attend college and work.
    Hello,

No.I mean those who can work but are choosing not to.Or those who join and come into the UK.I am really sorry to see that I have probably offended you as I didn't mean to :(

I am NOT a full time student.I am a part time student.I work 4 days a week, go to college 2 evenings and 1 day a week.

I have diagnosed difficulties too but im doing my best

Xx
    If you're paying tax, you're earning over the threshold to claim any out of work benefits.
    :yippe:
    Melian wrote: »
    If you're paying tax, you're earning over the threshold to claim any out of work benefits.

I am not though, thats the thing.

This country's system is messed up...x
    eh? You claimed you were a British taxpayer.

Either way, if you either earn over £62 ish per week or work 16 hours a week or more, you won't get anything. And you wouldn''t get income support either - that's for carers and lone parents of children under 5.
    "People who come into the country get help" a lot of people come into the country because of the situation they're in in their country, Forced marriages, Threats to their life, Bombings, They flee their countries and come to the UK because its seen as a 'Safe Place'.
    They get help to rebuild their lives after they've lost everything. Then, they go to work.
    Emmalee wrote: »
    "People who come into the country get help" a lot of people come into the country because of the situation they're in in their country, Forced marriages, Threats to their life, Bombings, They flee their countries and come to the UK because its seen as a 'Safe Place'.
    They get help to rebuild their lives after they've lost everything. Then, they go to work.

I understand that BUT most dont work...
    As I said,I AM a british taxpayer but I do not earn more than the threshold.I am not just "claiming"it xx
    Actually, many do. No idea why you think they don't?

Agreed.
    Every person I've met, India, Chinese, Asian, I've met all have Jobs, Wether thats something Small.... Taxi Driver, Takeaway or somehting bigger like a Doctor.

1 out of maybe 20 don't have a job... Actually theres a higher rate of people on Benefits who are English than who are not.

Also don't mix up people who are of another herritage, But we're born in England, because they're fully entitled to Benefits if they need them, and you can't say they "came in" they we're born in.

The UK is full of so many different races of people, and a lot of them...Are as much English as I am.

Maybe where you're from/live...but not where I live x
    Maybe where you are from but not where I am from.Certainly not where I am from..

I fully understand and respect what you are saying though

I think I have come off topic here but hey...Ill stop talking about that opinion now...

Any ideas on what else i can do?xx
    Thank you.
    Work more hours?

There's nothing else you can do. You earn too much to claim benefits.
    Work more hours?

There's nothing else you can do. You earn too much to claim benefits.

Thats what im tryig to say-I physically dont earn "too much" x
    Maybe where you are from but not where I am from.Certainly not where I am from..

I fully understand and respect what you are saying though

I think I have come off topic here but hey...Ill stop talking about that opinion now...

Any ideas on what else i can do?xx

I've lived in Four different parts of England, Its very much the same there.

Try working more hours?

Then your only real option is to work more

According to the Government you do.
    According to the Government you do.

H,mm..bloody government!They arent that great with money and incomes etc!!xx
    Different parts of england are different in terms of this....All depends on what area/areas etc etc xx
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Then your only real option is to work more

Hmm :s Thank you for the reply xx
    Different parts of england are different in terms of this....All depends on what area/areas etc etc xx

Actually, they're not.
    They ARE...they really are x