Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you try a 'part-time relationship'?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The internet is full of dating websites ranging from those helping you to find a quick fling through to those to help you find 'the one'. However, have you ever heard of a part-time relationship?

Parttimelove.com is a dating website which attracts users who don't have the time/energy/inclination to be in a full-on relationship, but want something more than just a hook-up. The appeal is supposed to be that it helps users to maintain their independence and takes the pressure off the romance, but is still a dating website. The creator says:

'I value my independence but must that mean that I'm confined to meaningless flings? I’d love to share some magical chemistry with someone but I'm not keen on merging my whole life with theirs'

So my question is do you think this type of part-time relationship could work? Is this the modern world's answer to dating whilst living a fast-paced life?

Personally, I see how it might have its uses, for example if someone is newly single and doesn't want to jump straight into another relationship, but equally doesn't want a break from the dating scene. However, where is the line between a hook-up and a relationship? What happens if you start to feel something more for someone that doesn't want a full-on relationship? In theory, it sounds great; in practice, I'm not convinced :chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Redrose wrote: »
    In theory, it sounds great; in practice, I'm not convinced :chin:
    This. The pros and cons are very valid and the idea might suit a lot of people. Personally, I can see the appeal. Thing is, the thoughts and feelings around relationships are probably too complex for it to be this simple in reality. Similar to 'friends with benefits' - another thing rarely as simple as its made out to be.

Would be interesting to hear from people who've tried it, though.
    Sounds like a online portal to find friends with benefits. Yea I'd say it's a good idea, but to make a whole internet entity out of it? It could just be incorporated in a "normal" online dating website, where you offer the information that you are only on the look for something casual.
    Maybe I would try it. Sounds great when you're single and wanna have some to be with, without getting too much worried if you're gonna break up or not.