Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mama Riot's MH

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ma has been on the slide for a while, she's been having panic attacks for about a couple of years or more off and on but since August when her godmother (who was like a mum to her) died she's been having severe nightmares/flashbacks and getting so depressed I'm worried about leaving her. She won't take medication and it's taken me months of harassing her to just make her get a doctors appointment. She seems like she could be on the verge of doing something but there seems like there's nothing I can do but it's really scaring me.

Is there anything I can do? I can't leave her alone at all without her getting really upset. :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Miss_Riot,

I'm sorry to hear about this - it sounds like a really difficult situation for the both of you *hug*

So your mum went to the doctors about this and they offered her medication? Does the doctor know everything about the situation?

I'm not at all sure what to suggest. Is it possible that you could go alone to speak to someone about this from your point of view? Maybe just to see what a professional would suggest to start with?

I hope you're okay.
  • SarahRSarahR Posts: 213 Trailblazer
    Hi Miss_Riot

I'm sorry things have been so tough at the moment. It sounds like you're really worried about your mother's health and you feel she's been getting worse since her godmother passed away. It's not surprising that you're concerned for her wellbeing, but I'm wondering if you've got any other support with this at the moment? It sounds a lot of responsibility to take on by yourself.

TheSite has an article here about helping someone with a mental health problem. It sounds distressing for you that you're not able to leave your mother on her own without her getting upset, however it is also important to look after yourself. Butterfly made a suggestion about talking to someone about how you're feeling - do you think perhaps you could go to see the GP by yourself to discuss your concerns?

I hope some of this is helpful and do let us know how you're getting on.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She's been better this week - I've been worse this week, PTSD flaring up and I've been to the GP and he's just given me a script and sent me on my merry way...there's so much I just want over and it would make life easier for both of us!