Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Does it sound like I'm getting more ahead ?

TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,976 Extreme Poster
edited October 21 in Work & Study
Im still trying to get into work, not had too much luck but recently I think we realised that maybe placements might be a way forward, it's been where I'll do a trial period for a week or something like that, it's unpaid but it's not for long and it could potentially give me a paid job. It also gives me a bit of taster of working, the routine and a bit of experience too. I did a taster session for another placement, there was an interview at the end which my answers were a bit short so I unfortunately didnt get put forward from the taster session onto the placement but I don't think I really let not getting taken any further get to me a lot because there's other things out there and I was told that, plus it was only a certain amount of places, it wasn't like I did something wrong then I got kicked off. I have another placement taster session soon so I'm going to see where it takes me. I'm doing functional skills too just in the background but I'm really hoping just to get into work maybe with a bit of support because if I can get a placement with a company and show them what I can do it will hopefully be something that could get me a paid job.

These placements Im on about are not just random companies I'm doing them with though, its through like specific programmes like courses, like the one that's upcoming, it's a pre employment placement so I have a chance at the end for a paid position. I'm just fed up at home and getting no proper money so I just am hoping things start to fall into place. I just have been applying to jobs for months and as most of you probably have seen from my other threads it's so overwhelming at times so I'm just hoping for something good to happen. Does it sound like I'm moving a bit more forward and that I'm doing enough to just get the end goal of a paid job?

Comments

• kaiikaii Posts: 532 Incredible Poster
    Hi @TheNightmare, thank you for sharing this with us.

Placements can be really helpful for future job opportunities - I did one for a whole year in research and managed to gain lots of skills that employers value, even ones that are not limited to the field of research, and like you said, it's a good way to experience the work environment for a bit.

I would just like to ask, would you consider doing any volunteer opportunities? I think places such as charities really appreciate people helping out, and like placements, it's another good way to develop skills and build connections. I think the application process to be a volunteer is usually easier compared to placements/internships/jobs, and you can also get a reference for future job applications from volunteering.

So sorry to hear that you got rejected for a placement - it's great that you're reflecting on that experience though, and like you said, more opportunities definitely will open up for you in the future. It sounds like you're developing resilience and determination and learning a lot from the rejection.

I hear you when you say that applying for jobs is such an overwhelming process - it's especially disheartening when you get lots of rejections. Take it one step at a time, and take lots of breaks.

I just want to say that you're making good progress because you're not giving up despite how difficult it's been. You will eventually get that job you want.

Good luck with everything, and keep us updated on how you're doing :smile:

Kai
  • TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,976 Extreme Poster
    kaii wrote: »
    Hi @TheNightmare, thank you for sharing this with us.

Placements can be really helpful for future job opportunities - I did one for a whole year in research and managed to gain lots of skills that employers value, even ones that are not limited to the field of research, and like you said, it's a good way to experience the work environment for a bit.

I would just like to ask, would you consider doing any volunteer opportunities? I think places such as charities really appreciate people helping out, and like placements, it's another good way to develop skills and build connections. I think the application process to be a volunteer is usually easier compared to placements/internships/jobs, and you can also get a reference for future job applications from volunteering.

So sorry to hear that you got rejected for a placement - it's great that you're reflecting on that experience though, and like you said, more opportunities definitely will open up for you in the future. It sounds like you're developing resilience and determination and learning a lot from the rejection.

I hear you when you say that applying for jobs is such an overwhelming process - it's especially disheartening when you get lots of rejections. Take it one step at a time, and take lots of breaks.

I just want to say that you're making good progress because you're not giving up despite how difficult it's been. You will eventually get that job you want.

Good luck with everything, and keep us updated on how you're doing :smile:

Kai

Hi @kaii

I appreciate the reply and for the encouragement.

As for volunteering, I’m not too sure about it, to be honest. I’ve been more focused on these placements because they’re specifically designed to lead into paid roles, and that’s what I’m really hoping for. I feel like with these placements, I can get just enough experience to see what the work environment is like without it being too long to the point where I get demotivated if there’s no pay involved.

But I’ll definitely keep your suggestion in mind in case other opportunities don’t come up as quickly. Thanks again for the support, it means a lot!
  • eylaheylah Posts: 4,050 Community Veteran
    not much to say but im here and i see how much your putting into this i am so proud of you. you are doing amazing hugs <3.
    keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. 🤍
  • TheNightmareTheNightmare Posts: 1,976 Extreme Poster
    eylah wrote: »
    not much to say but im here and i see how much your putting into this i am so proud of you. you are doing amazing hugs <3.

@eylah really appreciate it
  • eylaheylah Posts: 4,050 Community Veteran
    eylah wrote: »

@eylah really appreciate it

always here for you <3
    keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. 🤍