Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

has anyone read this book and knows the title?

Anonymous55Anonymous55 Posts: 28 Boards Initiate
I read this book a couple years back about a boy who's baby sister is extremely ill, and one day, after they move into their new house, he finds an ill man in his basement. I can't find the title or anything, but I do know how it starts and ends. Basically, the man is an angel, who fell from heaven and was left to rot in a basement. He loves chinese food and calls it nectar and ambrosia of the gods. He also has wings. Anyone know this book?

Comments

• Options
    SlinkySlinky Posts: 53 Boards Initiate
    edited May 19
    Sounds like a book I read called Skellig. I don’t think I finished it because it was a school thing and I left but I enjoyed the bit I did read. Did you like it?
  • Options
    YES OMG THATS EXACTLY IT I COMPLETELY FORFGOT THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I've been hyperfixated on birds and angels ever since I read that book! I love it so much! Thank you for reminding me! Now I can beg my parents to get it for me!
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,119 Community Veteran
    Yes i believe it is called Skellig!. I never read that book in my school but I do want to read Skellig at some point and it will be put on the tbr list soon!. Also birds and angels are so cool!.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    I'm back with another book!! Does anyone know the name of a book about a girl who befriends another girl who was abused? They'd play these really messed up games even when the first girl didn't want to, and I believe there was one point in the book where a child died and the abused girl, who's friendship with the first one had gone out the window, went to the door of the dead girl's parents and asked if their daughter would like to come out and play. Her former friend found this out when the police went to her because they knew she used to be friends with the other girl. Does anyone know this book??
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 169 Helping Hand
    Hello @Anonymous55
    I'm not familiar with the book in question but the story reminded me of the real life case of Mary Bell, she was an 11year old killer and committed the murders with a friend of hers.
    Just putting a spoiler in case other people are triggered by talking about true crime.
    The victims were young children who they pretended to play with before taking their lives. They also went to the house of one of their victims after the fact to ask their parents if they could come out and play, obviously knowing that the victim was dead at that point. Mary bell was severely abused as a child and was considered to be the mastermind behind it while her friend just got swooped up in it.

Maybe the book you read was a fictionalised version of the events (?)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @genderless_fungi
    That does sound familiar, but I can't remember if anyone was actually murdered...I think there was a fire at one point but...idk. There was a scene in the book where the friend, who was being questioned by the police, exclaimed that they couldn't confront her former friend's father because he'd hurt her. The way she phrased the abuse was...almost childish, and very unorthodox. It was the sort of description Pippa Longstocking might use to describe something. Intelligent, but descriptive in a way that isn't serious, even in this context. I'll look into it though, thank you.
  • Options
    I don’t know it @Anonymous55 but a google search said it might be “the girl next door” by Jack Ketchum
  • Options
    OHHHHHH Hang on you might be onto something!
  • Options
    @Slinky
    Unfortunately, the book had nothing to do with aunt's or any of the sort. The book I read was set in a village, and there was no abuse on the end of the protagonist, just her friend :'( Thank you for the suggestion though. Tbh, it's a book that I've wondered about ever since leaving primary, because a book like that being in a school's library...there were other books with mature themes, but I think that definitely came from someone who was digging for a bit of horror, and after trying to read it, decided that they wanted to preserve their innocence and childhood. Too bad I had no such restraint. I was a depressed mf that fed on books and lived on spiteXD
  • Options
    Ahh, it’s not one I’ve heard of unfortunately. I hope you manage to find it. Let us know the title if you do because it sounds really interesting 😃
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,907 Master Poster
    I might be completely wrong but maybe Gone With The Wind?
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous