Home Introduce Yourself
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reintroducing myself 2 years later!

kaiikaii Posts: 468 Listening Ear
Hi everyone!!

Today marks the day that I started volunteering on the boards here as a Peer Supporter two years ago! It's honestly crazy how much time has passed - I still vividly remember logging on here to introduce myself for the first time, and posting about my first anniversary!

I thought I'd reintroduce myself since so much has happened! :3

My name is Kai, I'm an undergraduate studying psychology, currently in my placement year as a research assistant. I'm investigating attention and have been using neuroscience methods (such as EEG, which has been very very fun!). My placement made me realise that I want to go into neuropsychology/neuroscience!

I'm a big dreamer who wants to become a lot of things - probably because I have quite a few hobbies. I like playing the piano, singing, drawing, writing, and learning languages! I'm working on myself to be the person I want to be in the future :smile:

I think what compelled me to start volunteering here at The Mix was the fact that I noticed that support for mental health was quite limited in my secondary school. Navigating through adolescence is a difficult time, so knowing the right tools to get through the stressful times during this period is especially important. It was painful witnessing others go through challenging times during secondary. I also went through a difficult time back then, and I'm grateful that I'm in a much better place now - so I want to make sure that no one ever feels terrible like how I did before.

I'm so so grateful to have found this wonderful and supportive community. It's just so rewarding helping others find what they need and it's really comforting being part of The Mix since it's such a lovely, non-judgmental space that ensures people are not alone with their struggles <3

Kai <3
cinnamoroll supremacy : )

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,133 Part of The Furniture
    edited May 5
    Hey @kaii - happy two years! You have already been such a valuable member of our community. Using your own experiences to support others - and what a wonderful job you have done and continue to do. Never forget that we are here for you as well though and we are super glad to hear placement seems to be going well. Is EEG your favourite part? <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Laura_tigger82, thank you!! And yes EEG is my favourite part - I think it's because I get to actually experience the data collection process, like talk to participants, use a recruitment system, and just getting amazing hands-on experience in a lab! :3<3
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 251 The Mix Regular
    hey @kaii
    You're placement sounds so interesting!!
  • Options
    amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 137 The Mix Convert
    Hey @kaii congratulations on your 2 years here! Your support will have helped so many people for sure <3
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,885 Extreme Poster
    Congratulations @kaii on the 2 year anniversary! We're so grateful to have you as part of the community here over this time, and thank you for all you've contributed over the last 2 years - here's to many more! <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hi @Katie12, thank you!! It really is - especially since in my uni, we don't get the privilege of doing practical stuff and working in the lab! I'm so glad I decided to do one :smile:
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    @kaii - welcome to the 2 year gang!!!!! - we must have signed up to be peer supporters around the same time then. like the others have said, its been great having you here. sounds like the placement year is going good - i wish I would've had something like this during my psychology degree - it sounds awesome.

hope you're doing well and keep being awesome here on the boards
    sending hugs
    Sinead
  • Options
    MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    It was lovely to read your reintroduction @kaii :)

Your studies sound interesting, more so when it's made you realise you want to go into neuroscience- that's amazing! It's also really touching to hear that you became a peer supporter because you know that support for young people can be a bit lacking at times and it's especially difficult during the teen years. Don't forget, we are here for you too! :)
  • Options
    Issie_11Issie_11 Moderator Posts: 19 Settling in
    Hey @kaii - BIG congrats on two years at The Mix!

What languages are you learning? That is super cool! I really want to learn Spanish :)
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 856 Part of The Mix Family
    Heya @kaii happy two year anniversary and thank you so much for all the amazing support and great things that you bring to this community. We are lucky to have you :)
  • Options
    @sinead276, thank you so so much!! As soon as I saw your reintroduction post, I realised that we joined the boards at around the same time which is so so cool!! Happy 2 years to us :3<3
  • Options
    @Issie_11, thank you!! I want to learn so many languages and become a polyglot one day - I'm currently learning Japanese, French and Tagalog (because I'm from Philippines), and after I achieve proficiency in those languages, I want to learn Mandarin, Korean and Italian! And if I have time, I'd love to learn Greek one day :smile:

Spanish is a really nice language, I find that it's so satisfying to listen to - I really hope you get to learn the language soon! <3