Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My Nan is in hospital

Abigail123Abigail123 Posts: 33 Boards Initiate
My nan is in hospital. she was told this morning to go to A and E by her team. we are sure whats going on. all we know is her oxygen is low so she has been put on oxygen. they asked her about seizures not sure why. I'm worried she has had one. but my nan lives in London i don't so i can't go and see whats going on. I'm worried as 3 years ago we was told she might not live a year but here she is 3 years later. she has a brain tumour that they can't do anything about as if they do the treatment will kill her. My nan is everything to me and i am scared of the fact she slowly dying. And each time shes in hospital i have this fear that its the end. i saw her yesterday and she was fine. my grandad said he will keep us updated but we haven't heard anything more. I've also got a funeral on Monday which my grandad is taking so couldn't come in the worst timing. I'm just hoping that my nan is fine and she is nowhere near dying as with everything if she goes I'm not going to be able to cope as she has always been everything to me and she supports me through everything. i just don't want her to miss out on the big things in my life.

Comments

• Options
    Background with her brain tumor we was told that its going to stop each function in her body from not working. before we new this she had a pacemaker put in as her heart wasn't running properly. and she can no longer eat so she has a feeding tub but we was told if they new this at the time they wouldn't have put things into place like this. I'm just worried that her lungs are giving up and if that is the case that's it. I'm just so scared for losing her.
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 831 Part of The Mix Family
    Hey @Abigail123
    So sorry to hear about your nan. It’s so hard to see someone you love go through something like that and im sure ur feeling really scared and upset and especially with a funeral on Monday I can hear how its such a lot to go through within a short time period. Finding time to do something you enjoy and just making sure u allow urself to experience those feelings is important.I know distraction isn’t easy but it’s important to prioritise your own mental health as well. What’s one nice thing u could mabye do for urself this weekend? We are here for you if u just want it vent or chat. Sending u hugs and thinking of u during this hard time<3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 I meant to be doing ballet today which I was so excited for but since this I'm worried as I'm in there for 2 hours but i think I will go now as your right I need to do things that make me happy. Plus my nan wouldn't want me to not go.
  • Options
    Aw good idea hope it does provide some distraction <3 Are u doing grades in ballet?
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 Yeah it does when I'm dancing I forgot about everything it's like nothing else matters. It's the only way I get to escape for a bit from everything. Yeah I've actually done all the grades. I'm a senior dancer now. I've been dancing for 16 years now. But I've started pointe a year ago so working my way up with them.
  • Options
    Yeah exactly it’s a great way to express yourself as well and definitely provides a good distraction. I’m not a dancer myself but I remember having that feeling when I was doing taekwondo. oh wow 16 years that’s amazing. You must really love it and be really good at it! Pointe sounds quite hard but pretty cool tho how r u finding it?
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 yeah it's a long time and I don't want to stop anytime soon. Pointe work is so so hard but it's fun at the same time. When u get to do more it's so rewarding as the amount of time I have spent to do it. But it's just so much fun. I literally walk round my house in my pointe shoes
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,011 Community Veteran
    Hi @Abigail123 I'm so sorry to hear that your nan has been in hospital quite recently for her brain tumour. I can imagine this being a frightful and hard time for you right now. I agree with what @ebyrne556 mentioned about making sure to do self care activities that could help ease your anxiety and worries right now. It's completely normal to feel anxious especially when someone is in hopsital. Recently my nan who has got dementia had to go to a + e for an water infection but she went home instead because she could properly go. I hope you are okay though at the moment, and I am always here if you need someone right now. <3.

Sending you a super big hug,

Amy22 <3.
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    @Amy22 thanks. I hope your nan is ok. We have just found out she has a bad chest infection they are seeing what they can do for her but they are really saying much. But hopefully she can go home soon.
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 604 Incredible Poster
    Sending you lots of hugs @Abigail123 <3 It's always tough when someone we love is unwell and we can't do anything to help. I can really resonate with how you're feeling, last year my gran ended up in hospital and it was really frightening. It can be so difficult to manage the anxiety around it all, but it always helped me to know that she's in the right place in hospital, getting the treatment she needs.

I hope they are able to clear up the infection for her soon so she can be back in home comforts. Sending lots of strength your way. Keep reaching out to us here Abigail, we're all here for you. <3
  • Options
    Abigail123 wrote: »
    @Amy22 thanks. I hope your nan is ok. We have just found out she has a bad chest infection they are seeing what they can do for her but they are really saying much. But hopefully she can go home soon.

Thank you @Abigail. Hopefully now they kind of know its a chest infection, they can prescribe the right medication or treatment so your nan can have a quick and speedy recover. Chest infections aren't always the best and can take some time to recover from them. But I hope that she gets the right treatment and is feeling better soon <3.
  • Options
    @Amy22 thanks Amy I've seen her today. She's doing better but still on oxygen at the moment. They are waiting for some tests to come back but they take a couple of days. Hopefully she can get her oxygen back to normal and get back home
  • Options
    @Abigail The main thing is that she is being looked after by a lot of nurses and doctors who have seen this nearly every day and are experienced so I hope she will be in safe hands. <3