Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Having a parent who hoards

Comments

• AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 2,350 Boards Champion
    eylah wrote: »
    My dad is blaming me too. This is so hard

why. :(. im so sry.

He was cleaning stuff, I think he just took it out on me because I was closest. I’m feeling better now though
  • eylaheylah Posts: 3,969 Community Veteran

He was cleaning stuff, I think he just took it out on me because I was closest. I’m feeling better now though

im still sry he took it out on you. im here if you need to talk or anything. i care abt you. <3
    keep your face always toward the sunshine and shadows will fall behind you. 🤍

im still sry he took it out on you. im here if you need to talk or anything. i care abt you. <3

Thank you <3 I appreciate you

Thank you <3 I appreciate you

your a kind kind soul. i hate to see you upset. <3. you always here for me. so im here for you too. <3
    My mum was moving stuff and I didn’t take something off her quickly enough so she threw it at my feet. She didn’t throw it hard or fast and it didn’t hit me but still. Makes me feel worthless
    im so sry @AnonymousToe . no mother should treat their child like that. your not worthless your so incredibly strong. how are you feeling now? here for you. <3
    Thank you @eylah im ok
    Thank you @eylah im ok

im sry to hear everything thats happening for you but your so incredibly important to everyone. i wish things were better for you. :(<3
    My mum is so angry / aggressive all the time
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,267 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @AnonymousToe. You have been really brave in sharing this with us.

Can we ask more about what this looks like for you and if you feel safe at the moment? You deserve support with this and we hope you feel safe.

Please remember there are services, like 999, available if you ever feel unsafe or need some additional support. We are here with you <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Thank you @Laura_tigger82 I’m safe, sorry if I made it sound like I wasn’t
    My mum’s being miserable and i dont know why but I feel like it’s my responsibility to deal with. She makes me feel like crap too
    im sry @AnonymousToe . here for you <3
  • amy02amy02 Moderator Posts: 280 The Mix Regular
    I'm so sorry to hear that @AnonymousToe you deserve to have your feelings listened to and be supported as well <3 We are always here for you to talk
    I wanna make my room more manageable to live in, but I can’t because that would mean getting rid of stuff which means dealing with my mum wanting to keep everything.
  • sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,541 Extreme Poster
    hope you're doing okay today @AnonymousToe and sending you a big hug
    My little sister just had the horrifying realisation that we’ll have to deal with the house/hoard when our parents die. This isn’t fair
    It hurts to never get to sit on a chair :/
    It hurts to never get to sit on a chair :/

I’ve had the same pain from having to sit on the floor for 3 weeks now.

6 weeks.
    hugs @AnonymousToe here for you <3. care abt you sm <3
    It’s not about the hoarding but it’s just so so hard to do anything with my mum, she’s so unpredictable and I can’t deal with it 😭
    So sorry to hear you are struggling @AnonymousToe it must be so hard to deal with someone else's emotions along with your own. I hope you are still able to do things to take care of yourself <3 Remember we are always here for you to talk things through
    here for you toe i care abt you sm <3. so sry your struggling :(
    Nobody understands. My dad said it looked like I had no desire to clear any space. But I really really want to, I just can’t because my mum will shout and shout if I ask to get rid of anything. Plus it’s so overwhelming with the stupid moth infestation. I feel like absolutely everything is dirty. It’s really hard. My dad is one of the two other people (excluding me, and my mum because she’s the hoarder) who knows what the house is like and even he doesn’t understand what it’s like for me.
    im so sry to hear this im here for you. <3
    I can hear how overwhelming this must be @AnonymousToe it's a lot to deal with <3 We're all here for you
    Decided I’m going to label everything I want to get rid of but am not allowed to. That way it’ll be quick and easy to see what can go eventually, or if my parents decide to throw away all my stuff while I’m gone to clear space, they can pick the things I don’t want. I dont know. It drives me crazy having to keep stuff because my mum wants it
    hugs toe i’m so truly sry to hear. <3 thinking of you.
    It’s hard right now. My dad tried to clear some space in the kitchen by rearranging things, so he got overwhelmed or whatever because of all the stuff and he’s getting annoyed with me, telling me to clear space as if I have any control over it. And my mum is annoyed because things have been moved and she can’t navigate the house in exactly the same way, plus she keeps asking where random things are and searching for them as if it’d be a total catastrophe if some ancient (outgrown) Christmas jumpers got thrown away. She moans about my dad to me. It’s so hard being the oldest child.
    Without moving stuff around, there’s only actually space for one person (my mum) to sit and eat downstairs. Nice