Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What qualification are you doing at the moment?

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,804 Master Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just being nosy about it lol. If you're doing more than one, feel free to comment down below about what you're doing.
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

What qualification are you doing at the moment? 23 votes

Entry Level/Level 1
4%
_Tech_Addict_Girl 1 vote
GCSE
13%
Past UserPetiteQuarktoffuna101 3 votes
BTEC (Level 2)
0%
BTEC (Level 3)
4%
Dancer 1 vote
BTEC (Level 4)
0%
A-Level
4%
dyoverdx 1 vote
Access to higher education
4%
Amy22 1 vote
Degree
52%
JellyelephantMillie2787BenMaEmma_ebyrne556JJLemon18CaniceQindievioletLydsRose9Katie12asia4abubbles23 12 votes
PhD
0%
Other
17%
sinead276lunarcat522KBee99AnonymousToe 4 votes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    BTEC (Level 3)
    I'm also doing 1 A-Level on top of my 2 BTEC's. For my BTECs, I'm doing Health and Social Care and Performance. For my A-Level, I'm doing Photography. I was doing BTEC Media but then dropped out after a week. It just wasn't right for me.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
  • Options
    JJLemon18JJLemon18 Community Champion Posts: 1,926 Extreme Poster
    Degree
    Okay thank you @Dancer, cause now I have the opportunity to ask... What on earth is the difference between all these??? All I know is that I'm studying software engineering at uni and that's about it lol. I tried searching it up but now I'm even more confused. Apparently "higher education leads to the award of a degree", and a PhD is also a degree?... So what is it? I'm so lost :lol:
    Believe in me - who believes in you
  • Options
    BTEC (Level 3)
    JJLemon18 wrote: »
    Okay thank you @Dancer, cause now I have the opportunity to ask... What on earth is the difference between all these??? All I know is that I'm studying software engineering at uni and that's about it lol. I tried searching it up but now I'm even more confused. Apparently "higher education leads to the award of a degree", and a PhD is also a degree?... So what is it? I'm so lost :lol:

A PhD is a doctorate. It's what you would get to become a doctor. Access to higher education is different to higher education. It's basically a stepping stone. It's something that over 19's can do and it is equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
  • Options
    BTEC (Level 3)
    Entry Level = Qualification for 14 to 16 year olds who might be unable to access other qualifications for whatever reason

Level 1 = Grade D-G/1-3 at GCSE

GCSE = General Certificate of Secondary Education (usually done at 14 to 16 years old but can be done as an adult as well)

BTEC = Technical qualification where it has different units rather than a set specification and also has a combination of coursework and exams

Level 4 = Foundation Degree (basically what you can do before 1st year- sort of a stepping stone into a degree)
  • Options
    Degree
    @Dancer Ah okay, thank you!! I'm so stupid omg :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    BTEC (Level 3)
    No no it's fine. Oh I forgot to mention. A-Levels are done after GCSE's so from 16 to 18 years old.
  • Options
    Degree
    @Dancer oh wow, I only saw your first reply, you explained everything, thank you so much! :D
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    Other
    I did a psychology degree last year and this september will be starting a masters degree in young people's mental health and wellbeing :3
  • Options
    Emma_Emma_ Community Manager Posts: 600 Incredible Poster
    Degree
    This is a fun thread! I'm currently studying a youth work degree :)
  • Options
    BTEC (Level 3)
    Emma_ wrote: »
    This is a fun thread! I'm currently studying a youth work degree :)

That sounds exciting. Good thing it's not a degree in plants though.
  • Options
    BTEC (Level 3)
    sinead276 wrote: »
    I did a psychology degree last year and this september will be starting a masters degree in young people's mental health and wellbeing :3

Oof good luck with that.
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,148 Part of The Furniture
    Degree
    Currently doing my BSC in children and young peoples nursing
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    LydsRose9LydsRose9 Posts: 106 The Mix Convert
    Degree
    All of these comments are very interesting! I’m currently studying my final year for my degree in English Language and Linguistics and am looking to move into doing a masters next year. My dream is to do some sort of creative writing or writing for screen masters but am not sure on how viable that will be🤷🏻‍♀️it’s something I will have to figure out this year!
    Keep fighting the good fight!
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Degree
    @Laura_tigger82 wow you absolutely deserve a break haha. What were you studying? I bet psychology!
    Edit: oh wait you edited; You're not really having a break then haha. That's awesome that you work at uni tho!!
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    I studied education @JJLemon18 with a focus on special educational needs and disabilities! Though, I am a social scientist (especially Psychology) advocate at heart <3 What degree are you studying? :p
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Degree
    @Laura_tigger82 Ooh sounds interesting! I'm doing software engineering whilst wishing I did psychology instead xD
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,120 Part of The Furniture
    You never know, you might do both eventually @JJLemon18 ;)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Degree
    @Laura_tigger82 I'd love to!!!
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,023 Community Veteran
    Access to higher education
    I just currently finished my Level 3 extended diploma in TV and film production which is the second year of my Level 3 creative media course which I think is equvilent to three A-levels even though technically it's a higher education course in a way. :)
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Entry Level/Level 1
    Entry level 2 for maths entry level 3 for English and level one for computers
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Degree
    Really interesting thread <3 Im about to start my social work degree in September :)
  • Options
    Katie12Katie12 Posts: 243 Trailblazer
    Degree
    @sinead276 I am just about to start my final year of my psychology degree! How did you decide on your masters? It sounds very interesting! I am looking for inspiration on what to do with myself next September lol :)
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,062 Wise Owl
    edited August 2023
    Other
    @katie12 I guess when I did my psychology degree it was always the topics to do with health and mental health that i was most interested in and my dissertation was also somewhat mental health related so I knew I wanted to do something on those lines and the university I did my undergrad at had the course on child and adolescent mental health so I decided to apply. It was also in this process I found out about the Mix and decided to volunteer as a peer supporter on the boards, and I think it has ultimately further confirmed my decision that I want to help young people with mental health and wellbeing

Although I will say I took a year out after my undergraduate (graduated 2022) to really decide what I wanted to do and to have a good look at different courses (e.g., mental health courses, health or clinical psychology but decided this one was right for me (and I knew the uni which was a bonus).

I'd say think about what really interests you and you're passionate about and just go from there

Hope this provides some help/insight into my process :3
    Sending hugs
    Sinead
  • Options
    AnonymousToeAnonymousToe Posts: 1,022 Wise Owl
    Other
    I took a gap year by accident, which is kind of depressing…
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    Other
    I'm currently doing HND Social Sciences (year 2), which will allow me to progress to university year 2
  • Options
    PetiteQuarkPetiteQuark Posts: 47 Boards Initiate
    GCSE
    Dancer wrote: »
    Just being nosy about it lol. If you're doing more than one, feel free to comment down below about what you're doing.

Im uh retaking my gcses. My grades weren't exactly good enough for the course i wanted to do, so im retaking them, ive done my maths exam in November but, ive been advised to retake other exams to improve my grades even though i passed on everything else
  • Options
    toffuna101toffuna101 Posts: 154 Helping Hand
    GCSE
    gcses
    to be fair gcses is probably a pebble compared to a-levels and beyond
    even though i am going to do my gcses soon i have to be grateful that i dont have to worry about additional/extensive qualifications yet.
    my school pressures us when in reality we only have 2/3 years of childhood left
    i dont want to have to throw my remaining years away whilst solely being focused on my exams
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    Other
    @toffuna101 I think gcses do hold a degree of importance and can be as stressful as any other qualification out there, I don't think it matters how far you are in school/college/uni, any qualification with exams is naturally quite stressful due to the pressure! Schools often have a habit of over-pressuring students about exams and as important as exams are, in the grand scheme of things, they are not everything. This was something I really struggled with for a long time and only came to terms with properly after I left the competitive school environment, so I get it can be really difficult to believe when you're going through it. Exams aren't life or death, no matter what anyone says. I'm at college after leaving school at 16 and now I'm about to go to uni in the summer, and I know so many other people that have taken "less traditional" pathways and are doing really well!

I get the idea of being aware you don't have long before your childhood ends, so I agree you should enjoy it as much as possible, but once it ends, life still continues and you can still enjoy things, the only difference really is that you're an adult and you may take on different roles and responsibilities in your life that you know now.