Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Therapist

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
Wat r they 4. How do the help
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,294 Wise Owl
    There are different types of therapists who help in different ways but generally I think they help to get things off your chest. They're someone who you can talk to who can help guide you through understanding your own thoughts better. I've had cbt and my therapist has helped me to identify a lot of the root problems of the issues in my life and figure out where i need to make changes and how i can make things better. Obviously I have to take those steps myself and she can't do it for me but it's great to have someone there who can guide me through it all when my thoughts just feel messy. Hope this makes sense!
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • CaniceQCaniceQ Posts: 122 The Mix Convert
    @ellie2000 I share a similar sentiment as @Xee
    I generally perceive therapists as both a guide and supporter - One who helps one makes sense of what seems to/feels like it lacks sense and one who possesses unconditional positive regard. In a way, they are a safe space to express yourself and, though they can't solve people's internal struggles, they can work together with you/help to lessen these pains. :)
    CaniceQ
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,998 Extreme Poster
    Hey @ellie2000 - just to add to what's been said above, I've included some information from the NHS about counselling and therapy types and how they work:

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talking-therapies-medicine-treatments/talking-therapies-and-counselling/types-of-talking-therapies/
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • jodieamy124jodieamy124 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Hi @ellie2000 going to therapy can sometimes seem really daunting but it often is nothing like how it's portrayed in movies and TV shows. It essentially is like having a chat with a friend, just two individuals talking and they help you to understanding how you're feeling.

Therapy is a safe place to work through your struggles with someone who doesn't judge. I have had therapy before and it's a great space to allow you to work on yourself with someone who can guide you through it
  • Terry8936Terry8936 Posts: 271 The Mix Regular
    Hi @ellie2000 , Therapists are mental health professionals who are trained to provide support, guidance, and treatment for various emotional, psychological, and behavioral issues. They help individuals explore their feelings, thoughts, and behaviors in a safe and confidential environment. Therapists use evidence-based techniques and therapeutic approaches to help clients better understand themselves, develop coping skills, and work through challenges.

If you are considering therapy, reaching out to a mental health professional can be a valuable step toward better understanding yourself, improving your mental well-being, and navigating life's challenges.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.