Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

wat i saw on facebook

ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
i was browsing facebook 4 some reason and i came across, stuff like mental health pages. n i saw a post 'wats a gd way to d_e' n i felt the were giving suggestions like they were wanting the person to do it. so i put up tht they were nasty ppl n fb wasnt for tht. wen i put stuff on a community page once ppl got worried
was tht a gd thing to do?
Crazy mad insane

Comments

• jess63jess63 Posts: 287 The Mix Regular
    Hi @ellie2000

I'm hearing that you came across a post on Facebook that mentioned ways to die. That sounds tough. I agree Facebook isn't meant for that, and it must have been difficult for the person who originally post it to receive those replies. Id say instead of posting that sort of things on social media, its better to use services like The Mix, where you can get support from other people who are going through similar things.
    The steps you take don't have to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction.
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 4,233 Community Veteran
    @jess63 wen i read the comments on tht persons post, i thought tht was very very wrong, so i called them 'nasty ppl' was tht a gd response.
    Crazy mad insane
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I think you did a very brave thing to make a stand against pages and posts like that. I understand that when people are in so much inescapable pain, they want to seek out information on how to die, but that does not make it right for others to so readily supply that information @ellie2000 :( It's no wonder you felt like you had to say something!

It sounds like it was a pretty intense page to come across, and I am wondering if you feel like it has affected you at all? xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    edited January 2023
    @AislingDM i panicked
    Crazy mad insane
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    I agree with @AislingDM I think you were very brave and although you feel you panicked on your response hopefully it made you feel better for doing so? We are all proud of u for speaking out
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    I mean that makes a lot of sense @ellie2000 <3 When you see something so overwhelming and frustrating it's completely understandable to react quickly in a panic but regardless it sounds like you made a good choice to make an important point about the dangers of these posts.

Did you feel like the posts impacted you in anyway? xx
    @AislingDM @ebyrne556 anger nd concern bc there shouldnt b trolling anywhere, and fb should be better monitored. its frightning how ppl r
    Crazy mad insane
  • ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 1,042 Wise Owl
    Hi @ellie2000 How are you today? I can understand how you must be feeling angry and confused as to how can act in such a horrible way on social media. It can be really tough hearing peoples negativity so im Just checking in since we last spoke how have you been feeling about the comments and if you have seen any more how have they made you feel? Take care,Eden
    @ebyrne556 its the same with rumble.com. i see stuff tht aint quite right and i speak up, n ppl start bickering in the comments. i retaliate 4 ppl c my point, is tht gd?
    stay off tht one. youtube's better :)
    Crazy mad insane
    I think it's really wonderful that you do this, not everyone would have the bravery and strength to speak up like this online @ellie2000 ! <3 It's certainly reasonable to be so concerned about these types of posts and the anger is very valid, especially because you never know if any vulnerable people could be reading them.

It's important that people like you are there to take a stand. I reckon sometimes people make posts like this in an effort to communicate their own pain and try to make that clear to others, nevertheless, that doesn't mean it's okay to inadvertently 'help' other people in harming themselves or in dying.

huge well done Ellie, truly, and glad to hear that YouTube is better! xx