Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I think I might be overthinking this

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
Hi, sorry to bother you but I know this does probably does sound silly. But this morning I went on Instagram, and one of my friends asked me for help with something. They sent it quite early in the morning and I woke up later on in the day. I responded saying okay but I haven't had a response off them at all. Later on this evening I sent another one asking if they got help. The person who sent me the message was a friend I met when I did work experience on a short film and they were the main actor. I know this sounds silly but they probably only needed help with something little. A part of me started overthinking and I got worried as they wern't responding back and I thought like what if they are in danger. This is a bit stupid of me to ask but I am overthinking the situation and about the message?. It's been a while since my overthinking or anxiety has ever made me feel like this at all. My overthinking things has been good at the moment and now it has dipped a bit. I know I got a bake sale i'm doing in college tomorrow so could be the excitment, overthinking and the joy of xmas too mixed into one. I am a bit of an empathetic person to be honest and I will worry about my friends a lot eventhough I don't need to. :/
Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,507 The Mix Elder
    My friend got back to me and said they had an issue logging and if I had a link they could get back in. Im unsure of how to do this and I told them that. Why am I so anxious about this stupid feeling. Then I made a mistake with the coffee machine and that got a family member upset with me. I keep making mistakes, then that gets me upset. I feel like such a burden on them. I shoulden't cry as its a sign of weakness really. I have to be strong. My mum hasn't been too well either as she has got a bad tooth so I have been a bit worried, as I know tooth pain is awful. I'm empathising too much. I wish I didnt have emotion. I wish I was emotionless.
    Im like 20 and I shouldent be worrying too much. I feel so brain damaged sometimes.
    Why did I add my phone number on my personal info on Instagram???
  • kaiikaii Posts: 505 A 7 hour flight or a 45 minute drive?
    edited December 2022
    Hi @Amy22, you're so brave for reaching out, thank you so much for doing this <3

Firstly, I would just like to say that this isn't silly at all, so please don't invalidate your feelings since they are so important ^^

I completely understand your feelings as I resonate with them greatly as an overthinker. Being empathetic is kind of like a double-edged sword. It can be a strength - it can enable us to be more aware of emotions and feelings not only in others but in ourselves too ^^ but it also comes with a lot of challenges - we tend to get more exhausted and overanalyse every single detail.

In our society, there's a stigma of being highly sensitive - which comes with the belief that sensitive people are weak - which is not true at all. This also doesn't help since this harmful insult can lead to sensitive people fixating over their insecurities. So please don't feel like you shouldn't cry as it doesn't show weakness at all.

The fact that you worry a little about your friends shows that you're a very lovely person, but I'm glad that you've acknowledged what you consider healthy concern.

If you have time, perhaps doing these activities may help you with your overthinking:

- keeping a gratitude journal: there's been a lot of studies that support the fact that expressing gratitude can make us more happy ^^ but when you write what you're grateful for, make sure it's specific and non-repetitive as repeating the same gratitude can feel like a meaningless chore.

- positive reframing: acknowledging the negative aspects and seeing whether there's another way that you can think about the situation. I understand how hard it is to achieve this thought pattern as it can take a lot of time, but it's definitely possible ^^ but this gives you control to change your situation, to step back and deal with things one at a time.

- meditation: meditation can allow us to become more mindful of when we're overthinking, as well as enable us to focus more on the present instead of what already happened, and what will happen.

In my experience, these activities have helped me greatly and I still continue to do these today, so I really hope it can help you too. :smile:

I hope that this helps and I really hope that your mother gets better as well. :smile:

Sending hugs,

Kai <3
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
    @Kaii thank you its that I think I have been hacked on Instagram so I went to IT in my college and they told me to change my password and I am creating a new account
  • kaiikaii Posts: 505 A 7 hour flight or a 45 minute drive?
    @Amy22 oh I see, it's absolutely terrible that you got hacked! At least you're making a new account now. Have you tried two-factor authentication? It may help secure your instagram account to prevent getting hacked again :smile:
    cinnamoroll supremacy : )
    @Kaii thank you so much, I think it was a false alarm and maybe that one of my friends was hacked as the messages I had were really dodgey. I decided to delete the old account I had and I got a second one. But the thing I want my old account back so I have decided to reactivate my my account now.
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    This sounds really difficult for you @Amy22. How are you feeling about everything at the moment? :/
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    This sounds really difficult for you @Amy22. How are you feeling about everything at the moment? :/

Thanks @Laura_tigger82 everything has been sorted out now. With me I tend to overthink small things and I tend to catrophise something which can impact me a lot. Thank you though for looking out for me :).
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,238 Part of The Furniture
    Glad everything has been sorted out now @Amy22. That sounds really positive.

It is understandable that you tend to overthink small things and catastrophise things which can impact you a lot <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.