Home Fix The Mix
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Mix Usage Statistics

SupernovaSupernova Posts: 992 Part of The Mix Family
edited June 25 in Fix The Mix
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question so feel free to move if necessary.

I was just wondering if The Mix has found anything interesting with regards to the usage of the service? To my perception it seems like the amount of people using The Mix kind of ebbs and flows. It would be interesting to see whether there's any reality to that perception. Whether it can provide any broader insight in to mental health in general. The ways in which people struggle with it and when they struggle with it.

I guess it'd also be nice to hear if and how user data is used. Obviously I doubt there's any "X user struggles with X" given the confidential aspect of support. But even devoid of any personal details, you could infer a lot from the ways in which people interact with any mental health service.

Comments

• MikeMike Community Manager Posts: 4,099 Community Veteran
    This is a great question @Supernova and you've asked in the right place. :) Thanks for being patient while I got round to responding - realise this was a few days ago now!

We monitor and record broad statistics for all The Mix's services, including the discussion boards and group chat. There are a few main ways we use that data:
    • To help The Mix get funding by showing how important our service is
    • To improve how we work internally (e.g. we might start using new moderation systems or recruit more volunteers if the data shows that might be helpful)
    • To guide The Mix's long-term goals and strategy

You're right - usage of the service does ebb and flow. We see pretty clear seasonal patterns every year, like the increase we usually get around Christmas. Additionally, we can identify weekly or even daily trends. On The Mix's helpline for example, they see more people calling or getting in touch via webchat later on in the evenings. I think it's the same for the boards too.

Happy to answer any questions or hear any thoughts on this. :) I know this is quite broad - I'd need to read up a bit more on our stats to give you a more specific answer (which I can do if you're interested).
    Taking a break 🌈
  • SupernovaSupernova Posts: 992 Part of The Mix Family
    Thank you for the reply Mike.

The seasonal patterns are something I've noticed so it's nice to have that confirmed. As far as times go, I always find that things are worse outside of daytime, when it's quiet and others are asleep, and there's very little to keep me occupied. So it seems reasonable that others would have similar experiences. That to me further exposes the need for 24 hour services, and just how important sleep hygiene is. It's a fairly obvious takeaway but nevertheless needs to be stated. If late nights and very early mornings are the times when people feel worst, and also the times where they struggle the most to get support, then it can be very easy to fall into crisis. My personal experience definitely bears that out.

I'm curious how usage of The Mix contrasts with other services or statistics around mental health. With The Mix being aimed at a younger people, it'd be interesting to know what types of issues are ubiquitous across all age groups, and which are specific to young people. Is there a (or multiple) most common issue that people here discuss? Are there any types of discussion that see more or less engagement (could be indicative of which topics are easier or harder to support others with).

I have ideas floating around for a few other questions, but they are a little difficult to articulate, or the answers themselves might be hard to quantify. It might take me a while but I'll come back to this discussion if I think of anything new. :D
    Mike
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 995 Part of The Mix Family
    You may find the reports that The Mix publish every six months on helpline trends interesting, this is the most recent one, though I imagine there will be a new one soon.

I'm not sure how it compares to other services, as some aren't as open as The Mix are in terms of anonymous data. One example that you may find interesting to look at is Crisis Text Line in the US, they have a data dashboard that you can investigate their trends a little which is quite interesting. Obviously there will be some differences to people's needs in the US compared to here.

The Mix team may be able to give more context from a boards perspective, but you can have a little look on the side of a thread to look at the number of posts in each section and explore the tags to get a sense of what are the more common topics being discussed on the boards.

I'm a community moderator. I represent The Mix on the discussion boards and I'm here to help guide discussions, make sure everything is within guidelines, and take care of the housekeeping. I can't send or receive private messages, but you can message @TheMix or email with any questions or concerns and the team will get back to you.
    SupernovaMike
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandCommunity Champion Posts: 7,875 Legendary Poster
    This has been a really interesting read, I love reading the data and statistics around this stuff too @Supernova, and as a helpline worker myself (not for the mix but for another service) I've definitely noticed support needs greatly increase around the evening hours. I'd be interested to see your other questions.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Mike
  • MikeMike Community Manager Posts: 4,099 Community Veteran
    This has been a really interesting read, I love reading the data and statistics around this stuff too @Supernova, and as a helpline worker myself (not for the mix but for another service) I've definitely noticed support needs greatly increase around the evening hours. I'd be interested to see your other questions.
    Super interesting, thanks for sharing @independent_. :) Agreed - always happy to hear more questions if you have them @Supernova.
    Ed_ wrote: »
    The Mix team may be able to give more context from a boards perspective, but you can have a little look on the side of a thread to look at the number of posts in each section and explore the tags to get a sense of what are the more common topics being discussed on the boards.
    This is probably your best bet. Or when you're online, have a scan of the main forums and get a feel for where the busy spots are. The analytics we collect aren't as comprehensive as we'd like, so for things like topics we tend to go off vibes more than hard data. :tongue:
    Taking a break 🌈