Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Any ideas for volunteering roles?

Tigger2001Tigger2001 Posts: 15 Settling in
Hiya.

My man who has EUPD is looking to do some volunteering. It would need to be hands on and outside labour type work as an office environment would not work for him.

But I cannot think of any roles outside working at a charity shop? Do you have any ideas of voluntary roles or organisations that I could look into to see if there is anything locally?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• awesomeminecraft6789awesomeminecraft6789 Deactivated Posts: 1,052 Wise Owl
    edited June 2022
    Tigger2001 wrote: »
    Hiya.

My man who has EUPD is looking to do some volunteering. It would need to be hands on and outside labour type work as an office environment would not work for him.

But I cannot think of any roles outside working at a charity shop? Do you have any ideas of voluntary roles or organisations that I could look into to see if there is anything locally?

Thanks in advance!

Has he ever thought about helping people maybe? As that's a very hands on job. He could be a builder? Tbh idk many either. Here's a couple of ideas/links

https://www.rosterfy.com/blog/12-different-types-of-volunteering-work-you-can-try-rosterfy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.allaboutcareers.com/work-experience/volunteering-ideas/amp/

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/work-experience-and-internships/volunteering

• DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Hey, I’m sure the Princes Trust help people find a variety of jobs I’ve attached a link to their website.

https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/programmes#get-a-job
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    Just piling on here to say doit.life is a search engine for volunteering opportunities. I'm pretty sure it lists local opportunities as well as remote / national stuff: https://doit.life/volunteering
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Oh! He could also try task rabbit - a service where you can sign up to do odd jobs for people for payment. I know it's not volunteering but good for manual labour: https://www.taskrabbit.co.uk/
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hiya.

Thanks in advance!

There's lots of nature reserves and parks that need volunteers to help them clear areas, plant seeds etc. Maybe having a look in your local/surrounding area for these? :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hiya.

Thanks in advance!

There's lots of nature reserves and parks that need volunteers to help them clear areas, plant seeds etc. Maybe having a look in your local/surrounding area for these? :)
    This is a good idea too - you can usually email most places directly and a lot of them are super willing to take on volunteers, even if they don't actively recruit them.
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Your local council should have a volunteer centre that can help find a role that fits for what he is looking for. There could be quite a few gardening type opportunities if he is into something like that? For example there are community kitchens/allotments that you can help to grow veg or places like the national trust that need help maintaining their gardens.
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Love that he's so keen on helping others in some way @Tigger2001 !! and very glad that you're helping him with it too <3 Hope it all works out, because volunteering here at The Mix feels like such a good use of time and I know he'll feel good from doing something to support others too xx
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AbandonedTrolleyAbandonedTrolley Posts: 24 Boards Initiate
    You can volunteer at Crisis At Christmas, which is a temporary homeless shelter which is set up at several locations around the country over the Christmas period. See this:
    https://www.crisis.org.uk/get-involved/volunteer/volunteer-for-crisis-at-christmas/
  • RenPRenP Posts: 203 Trailblazer
    I second @AbandonedTrolley, the lead up to this Winter period/Christmas will have voluntary roles opening up within charities that are more hands on - food banks/packaging shoebox presents for children/community projects.

What about something like dog walking? Good way to get out in nature and exercise also.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I also did a few hours of volunteering wrapping presents for kids a couple of years ago, loved it, would love to do it again actually. It's nice to see so many roles opening up around this time of year, and they're great for people looking for hands on things! I know this is an old (ish) thread by the way, but since it's been bumped anyway I thought I'd post - the present wrapping was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I know this thread is a little bit old now, but SHOUT is also a great place to volunteer in the context of mental health, equally, talking to people in crisis could be overwhelming for some people, so it's important to feel prepared for that before going into applying <3
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    I second the ideas on community gardens. You could also look into local nature reserves and beaches as they may look for volunteers to help keep paths clear or to litterpick etc.

Another option is to see if there are any recycling/upcycling organisations near you. Some places need volunteer drivers mates to help load and unload vans with furniture and things for recycling.
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    edited November 2022
    AislingDM wrote: »
    I know this thread is a little bit old now, but SHOUT is also a great place to volunteer in the context of mental health, equally, talking to people in crisis could be overwhelming for some people, so it's important to feel prepared for that before going into applying <3

Absolutely @AislingDM it’s a wonderful place to volunteer if you’re up to it. With such a sense of community among its volunteers
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”