Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

needing to move out

I'm 19 and have been dreaming of moving out of a damaging and toxic environment also known as my household since I was like 12. However, as someone who's autistic and relies on benefits, has no support system and struggles with 'basic' tasks, it seems a lot harder to figure out and carry out this dream than the average person. I know moving out will improve my mental health, be one of the best things supporting my trauma healing journey, and be incredibly more suitable for my sensory needs. I'm not sure if this can even happen though, and I don't even know what kind of financial and disability support is out there for people like me, I've tried looking (even at supported living) but I guess I'm just horrible at figuring stuff out? I also don't have a family I can talk to about this if you can't tell haha. I am a University student but there's no student accommodation for the type of University I am with, I also have a young dog that I need to think about too. I've honestly been severely struggling but I don't know what I can share on here, but what I do know is that I need to get out of this household or I don't know how to 'continue'. It's so exhausting here. I'm getting desperate and have been thinking about moving out with a friend(s) which comes with it's own pros and cons. If anyone has any tips, it doesn't need to be about moving out- tips on how to cope with a damaged home until that moving day finally comes, is appreciated! This was more of a rant I guess sorry

Comments

• daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @lunamoon

Welcome to the mix! I am so sorry you are in this environment at the moment, I really hope you find a solution. It may be beneficial to get in contact with your council in the area you are living in to see what benefits they can offer you, like you said, they may be able to offer supported living. If you explain your situation to them I am sure they will be able to direct you with how to go about this.

Ps. you do not need to apologise, it can be helpful to put your struggles into writing!
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    It's lovely to have you here on The Mix @lunamoon <3

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us, I can't begin to imagine how frustrating and draining it is to live in a situation that is causing you such distress and discomfort. Having to navigate a home environment that leaves you feeling unseen and isolated is certainly wrong, and it's beyond reasonable that you want to get out of there as soon as possible. Moreover, I know that being autistic and having complex needs alongside that (in terms of what you mentioned about trauma recovery and mental health) must make working through potential options for moving out even more confusing, especially when you have to think of so many other factors, like your dog <3 It must be extremely overwhelming to work through all this kind of info at once without much support around you. Hopefully we can try to help as much as possible!

First thing that comes to mind is supported living and residential services listed on Austism.org:

https://www.autism.org.uk/what-we-do/adult-residential-services

as they give a lot more information on the types of support out there. Another organisation that could be of help is Choice Support. They work to support adults with autism in residential settings too!

https://www.choicesupport.org.uk/

If you want some more support with looking through that info I'd be very happy to help =) huge hugs and hoping things can get easier for you soon <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Just checking in to let you know we're still here if you need us @lunamoon <3 xx
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.