Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going forward, how do you think COVID-19 will impact the world?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Of course, this pandemic is simply dreadful, not least of all because of the loss of life and the immense grief, but also the impact upon those more vulnerable individuals. It is such a taxing time for us all and so I wanted to provide a space for people to share their thoughts on how the world has been changed by COVID-19 and how things might look going forward. Anything goes, and as always we will show kindness to each other <3
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
Post edited by TheMix on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if 'simple' things like hand sanitiser might be kept in shops? I also wonder if employers might take sick leave and sick pay for their employees more seriously? (although this one feels more of a pipe dream). Another thought is whether we might think more about our impact upon citizens of a country when we travel abroad?

I also don't have answers to any of these questions, they're just thoughts that have been on my mind for a while, and I wonder what yours are too!

<3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @AislingDM This is such a wonderful thread, thank you for giving us a safe space to talk about these things, and just get out any worries or questions about the pandemic. I think it would be really great if hand sanitiser stayed in shops for sure! I also think wearing masks has actually been really beneficial, I know this isn't a possible thing for many due to various circumstances, but I think personally, I'm going to continue wearing masks when I walk around shops or busy areas, it makes me feel a little safer, and it's a plus for the winter cold haha.

I wish companies would care more about sick pay, because staff and morale are super important. It's honestly so disheartening seeing how companies treat staff like they're just numbers. Everyone deserves to have time off when they're ill without feeling like they might lose their job or be letting people down. People's health is important all days of the year, and it would be great if corporations started taking on that narrative a lot more!
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,617 Legendary Poster
    I hope companies take sick pay more seriously too, so that people can actually continue to stay home when they’re ill. There’s be a lot less colds and flu every year if people didn’t feel they had to carry on until they were at death’s door.

I reckon shops will keep the cleaning stations for trollies, that seems sensible though I don’t always do it I’ll admit. You never know who’s touched that before you.

I guess also there’ll be a lot more people like me who’ve found they are more introverted than they thought they were, I actually quite like just chilling at home these days and not being expected to go out for everything.

I hope companies keep flexible working too, working from home doesn’t suit everyone but for some people it’s been very helpful.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I think it will largely return to the way it was before. Covid itself will cease to be much of a problem and it'll become just one of those viruses we call the common cold.

The way we work may be the thing to change the most. Many companies now know that many employees can work effectively from home.

Some people will continue to waer masks I'm sure. I think hand santizer may be round for a bit, but I can't see people maintaining it for too long.

People have short memories. It will be business as usual before you know it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @AislingDM

Oh, what a great thread. I think the answer depends on how we have experienced COVID-19 though. We have all been touched in different ways by COVID-19 because we have all experienced it differently. Despite it being the same pandemic of course! <3
  • Options
    Guys I love all your answers, very insightful, especially considering that we're still in the midst of the pandemic, it's hard to know what the world will look like in one year, let alone in twenty!

@Brookee yeah i'm so with you! I think people everywhere might start considering the ease of wearing masks especially during flu seasons and stuff, not just to keep away from a deadly virus, but just because who wants to feel sick in any way? it'll be really interesting to see how public opinions change over the next few years I reckon =)

@independent_ such true points, especially about how working from home and all the advancements in tech are making us change how we perceive what 'hard work' is. Of course there will always be roles which require 'in-person' working, but it'd be cool to see more and more companies acknowledge the benefits of flexible working, as you say. What careers do you think are important to remain fully-mostly in-person?

@Skive I think that's such a profound way of putting it, people really do have short memories, and I guess that's how entire groups of people try to move on from tragedy and huge events that have hurt the world. It really does make me consider which changes will be transient and which will have a lasting effect? As I said, fingers crossed on employers being more understanding around sickness!

@Laura_tigger82 1000% like depending on how each of us were forced to navigate the pandemic, this will completely change how we are able to respond going on and if we make any changes in our personal lives, regardless of what the rest of the world is doing. I know this is made more complicated when things which were previously legally-enforced are not anymore. It's all such an important topic tbh!! xx