Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I can't stand family gatherings

Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
I can't stand family gatherings. People were really loud and I felt like I could cry at any time. It was also not appropriate to escape into my room.
Tengo el alma en cuarentena y roto el cuerpo
Qué dolor, qué pena y qué tormento
El Kanka - Lo mal que estoy y lo poco que me quejo

Comments

• daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    Hi @Kate_20

Thank you for opening up about this, I am sure lots of people can relate to feeling like this in family gatherings.

Was there anything specific that happened during this gathering that made you feel like crying? Of course there doesn't have to be a reason sometimes we just feel this way and there is no explanation which is perfectly okay! <3

If there is a family member you are close to and feel comfortable, before the next gathering, you could explain how you feel during these gatherings to them. This way you could come up with a little code between the two of you that could represent you wanting to have some time to yourself? This could allow the person who knows about this code to explain to the rest of the family where you have gone if they ask. It could make it feel less intimidating rather than just leaving the gathering without anyone knowing, and also stops you from forcing yourself to stay in a situation you are not comfortable in.

I hope this helps and I am sorry you had to be in that situation, sending hugs <3

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. I am really glad to see the wonderful support already provided by @daisyella12. I was just wondering if you would like to talk to us more about how the family gatherings make you feel?

It sounds like people being loud is one of your triggers for not liking family gatherings. Do you feel there is a quiet space you could now rest in until you are feeling a little better? Sometimes setting boundaries such as the amount of time we agree to be at family gatherings can be helpful for some people in some situations. However, I appreciate that different types of family gatherings will have different extents of flexibility available.

Please know we are always here for you, listening to you, and supporting you. As @daisyella12 said, we are also sending you hugs <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    @daisyella12 @Laura_tigger82 It came out of nowhere. And I know that I still need to die. I felt so trapped because there were so many people and they were so happy. It was not convenient for me to die. Nothing could keep me alive. I am in so much pain and I don't know where it comes from.
  • Kate_20Kate_20 Posts: 653 Incredible Poster
    Don't try to make me feel like life is worth living. Because it is not worth it.
  • daisyella12daisyella12 Posts: 119 The Mix Convert
    @Kate_20

I am so so sorry you are still feeling so much pain. Things must be so difficult right now but you are so strong to make it this far! It may be beneficial to speak to your GP about antidepressants if this is something you feel comfortable with? <3

There are also some very supportive helplines that may benefit you:
    The Mix - Crisis Messenger - Text THEMIX to 85258 (24/7)
    Samaritans - Call 116 123 or email jo@samaritans.org (24/7)
    Shout - Text 'SHOUT' to 85258 (24/7)
    The Mix - Helpline: Call 0808 808 4994 (3 pm - 12 am, 7 days a week)
    Papyrus - Call 0800 068 41 41 or email pat@papyrus-uk.org (2pm - midnight)

I know you do not want to hear it right now but you are such a big part of The Mix community and we really value you! We are always here to listen <3
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hey @Kate_20

Thanks for reaching out to us. You know it is always really brave of you to reach out, especially when you are in pain. I am sorry to hear you are in pain. I know there's nothing we can say or do to make this easier for you but please know that we are here for you, listening to you, and supporting you. Also, @daisyella12 has shared some wonderful potential supports <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.