Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How are you feeling about the latest COVID news?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Case numbers are getting high again and Christmas is coming up. The news coverage has had a slightly more serious tone recently and we've seen a few more government briefings. A lot of folks are also needing to change plans for the holidays after testing positive or just wanting to be more cautious.

So, what's going on for you? How are you holding up?

For me personally, the atmosphere around COVID right now is reminding me a bit of how things were at this time last year. I remember being quite stressed about everything changing, anxious about being safe because I wasn't vaccinated yet, and it all generally being quite a lot to process. Even though I'm double jabbed now, I think some of those feelings are cropping back up.

Also for those who don't know, you can now get your booster if you're over 18. :)

All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

How are you feeling about the latest COVID news? 9 votes

I'm feeling down
66%
independent_JellyelephantRileyDancerPast UserBrookee 6 votes
I'm feeling okay
33%
DandelionLaura_tigger82gia9720 3 votes
I'm feeling good
0%
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    I'm feeling okay
    Hi @Mike

Thanks for initiating this thread. It is a really important topic and great that we have a safe place to discuss our thoughts and emotions around this.

I put "I'm feeling okay" as I am worried by this news but I am managing my worries. I was a shielder due to being identified as clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) so it is worrying that shielding is not happening anymore. However, I am managing my worries by only doing things I feel comfortable with and in ways I feel comfortable (e.g. wearing masks, washing my hands frequently, only going to quiet and necessary places, and going with people I trust).

How does everyone else feel about this news? We are here and we care for you no matter how you are feeling <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    I'm feeling down
    Pretty rubbish if I'm honest, I'm under a lot of stress right now generally and this is not helping. I'm going for my booster on Tuesday and got a flu vaccine done privately this morning so I hope I'm doing my bit to help. But the thought of not seeing people for months again is really sad and i don't know if I can put myself through that again, especially not seeing my partner because that put such a massive strain on our relationship which we're still working on. So I'm just a bit sad and anxious. Reminds me of March 2020 a bit.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I'm feeling okay
    On one hand I’m super excited for Christmas, seeing my family, having a couple of days off. But on the other hand, watching the cases rise is really scary I have my booster on Sunday but as I was on placement throughout the first vaccine roll out it’s been almost 9 months since my second jab which I know might increase my chance of getting it. I’m just hoping my whole family keeps testing negative and we can enjoy Christmas and then hopefully we won’t have any lockdowns or anything after so that it doesn’t affect my final year of uni. I guess one positive is that we’ve been allowed in uni so far so I have all my data for my diss already.
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    Hi @independent_ and @Dandelion

@independent_

I am really sorry to hear you are struggling with this news. It is understandably difficult. I hope the vaccines not only help to protect other people but also help you (if you were to catch it but hopefully not!).

Do you need to isolate yourself from other people? If so, could you video call them and phone them regularly? Though, I appreciate this is not quite the same as seeing people in person.

Would you like to talk about the other stresses you are experiencing?

@Dandelion

I am really glad to hear you are excited about Christmas. I think it is this excitement that will help to pull people through this tough time. I know it is doing the same for me. Is there a particular aspect of Christmas you are looking forward to the most? From your post, it sounds like family. If it is then spending time with my family is my most exciting thing about Christmas too! (and all the food and sleeping way too much).

I am sorry to hear you are feeling scared. It must have been even more difficult having been on placement. Is it reassuring to know that the time predicted for vaccinations is a minimum and not maximum and the dosage is the same for you so it should give you as much protection?

Just out of interest, what do you study? But *throws up* that diss word! (Yes, my diss is soon). Keep pushing forwards

@independent_ and @Dandelion

I wish you both the best of luck with your vaccinations! Take care for now and I will look forward to hopefully hearing from you both again soon :)
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    Hey @Laura_tigger82

Yeah I’m definitely excited about spending time with my family and obviously also the food 😂. I study Biomedical Science, good luck with your diss 🤞🏻
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    Hi @Dandelion

Ooh, what food? I got cookies, chocolate log, chocolate and orange cookies, and truffles a couple of nights ago so I am well stocked! A balanced diet over Christmas is just between chocolate, potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding, right?

How is your Biomedical Science degree going for you in general? You sound like you are on a roll with your diss! I mean you said you already have all your data which is amazing.

Thanks for the good luck with my diss. Just currently trying to ignore the fact that it begins in January. That would be the recommendation, right? ;)

We got this <3
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    Mmmmm @Laura_tigger82 that all sounds so good. I’m not actually sure what we’ve got at home, probably lots of chocolates lol. My degree’s going well thanks, can’t wait to get it finished now tbh. I’ve started my diss and I still try to ignore it so that’s definitely the recommendation 😂😂
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    Chocolates are an essential @Dandelion so hopefully, you will find lots :3

Thanks for your words of wisdom in ignoring the diss ;)

Nah, on a more serious note, I have already completed a diss!

I am currently approaching my Masters diss and I had a diss at undergraduate.

It sounds like you are also on track so you deserve a break as long as you get back to it afterward!

I cannot wait to hear you have submitted your diss <3
  • Options
    gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    I'm feeling okay
    I've had Covid very recently, it's vile.... and its devastating to see cases rapidly rising in light of the new omicron variant.

I went into a store today and the shop owner had their Whatsapp number advertise and was encouraging customers to buy products online and make orders via Whatsapp. I cant say i'm too optimistic for 2022 but it cant be worse than 2020 so trying to remain as positive as possible.

Im interested to see the plans the Government has in store for UK economy post 2021 since furlough scheme has ended will be interesting to see how they decide to support business survival in 2022.
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    Hey @gia9720

Thanks for sharing your views with us <3

It is a tricky time, isn't it? All we can all do is remain hopeful and it sounds like you are being hopeful! Fingers crossed for 2022 :3
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    @Laura_tigger82 i agree just trying to ignore too much speculation n negativity it’s not great 4 the mind
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    All we can do is make sure we have the supports we need in place @gia9720 :)

The rest comes when / if things are put into place! <3
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    q67g581i7mji.jpeg

Agreed ♥️
  • Options
    I'm feeling okay
    That's lovely @gia9720. Thanks for sharing the quote with us :)

On a similar note is a quote I like which is "fall down seven times, stand up eight times" <3