Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Anti bullying week- dealing with bullies

GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
Advice if you are being bullied.

Being bullied is a difficult thing, it can happen to anyone and is extremely common for those under 24. Bullying can happen anyway, in school, on the internet, at home or work. Understandably, it can have a massive impact on how we feel physically and emotionally, it may cause upset and stress and physical injuries can hurt. 
This thread is about advice for those being bullied. Below I'm going to post my advice. You are more then welcome to add your advice on the thread, advice you've been given, or ask for advice! 

First of all, it's brave to want to take a step against those bullying you. It's not an easy thing to do.my first bit of advice it talk, talk to someone you trust, for example, a family member, teacher, youth worker, friend. Speaking out may sound very scary and stressful, but just know it's extremely brave to speak up. When talking to someone, include what's happening, when it's happening and who's doing it. This will ensure the person you are telling, can help you with the situation. If you are too worried to speak to someone, try writing a letter, send a text, write an email, or speak to someone from a safe space first such as childline or the mix.

If bullying is happening online, during online games, in group chats or on social media, don't be afraid to ignore and block people! I suggest scrrenshooting what's going on if you can, and pass it on to someone safe when you talk to them. Online bullying is becoming more common as more and more young people are gaining access to the internet. It may be worth looking at your privacy settings too, ensure your accounts are secure so certain people can see your posts
As difficult as it can be, don't react! Reacting may not help the situation. If you are called a name, try to think positive and just walk away. By positive I mean, think about something you are looking forward to and remind yourself you are being the bigger person by not reacting!

Bullying can happen to adults too, it can happen in a work environment. If this is happening, speak to someone higher up, such as your boss. If your boss is bullying you, go above them and report it. This way it can be looked into and a solution can be found. Even as an adult, speaking up can feel daunting and that's ok! There's other things you can do such are send a letter or email, or ask a work colleague you trust to come with you! 

During secondary school, I was bullied to the point I tried to pull sickies to avoid them, this made it worse for me. I was bullied for being the new kid, I was seen as an outsider which their response was to name call, spread rumors and at one point, physically attack me ( my brother witnessed and dragged me away) I didn't have the confidence to speak up, I would hide in the crowd of my brother's friends, until the point I was attacked in which my brother took me to speak to a teacher, the main bully was isolated for a period of time and I was given a lot of support from teachers. I was scared to speak up, but when I did, things started to change and got better. 

Last off from me is, remember bullying is NOT your fault. It's not ok to hurt someone's feeling or hurt them physically. If you are being bullied, you are brave, you are strong and you stand tall 💕

There are some places you can go to talk about being bullied,  here's some places:

Childline -
Helpline - 0800 1111

BullyingUK - 
Helpline - 08088002222

Anti bullying alliance -

The mix is always here for you too, weather that's the one to one chat, support chat, helpline or posting on the boards. We are here for you.

Please if you have any advice or stories about how you dealt with bullying, post them below and let's help each other out

Comments

• Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    love this GT
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    Same @Liam Great job @GreenTea! <3
    Alis propriis volat 
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Thank you! Hope it helps who ever has read it! And I hope everyone knows that the mix community will always be there for them 💕
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,780 Master Poster
    This is a great post. Thank you so much for the amazing effort that you put into this.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 627 Incredible Poster
    This was very good advice and I particularly liked the mention of writing a letter/email if you are scared to talk about bullying <3 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Maisy said:
    This was very good advice and I particularly liked the mention of writing a letter/email if you are scared to talk about bullying <3 

Thank you
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Such a helpful and thoughtful post. Thank you so much for sharing, I really hope it helps somebody in need! Very kind of you to share :heart: