Home Fix The Mix
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

Care experienced section?

Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 429 Listening Ear
As a care experienced individual myself, I find it difficult to find people who have experienced the care system. 

I feel having a specific section for this will allow us to find each other better and share more specific resources and support. 

I think it is a much needed section and would be happy to help try and develop it if needed. 
👁️👄👁️
independent_MikeLiam

Comments

• independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 5,196 Part of The Furniture
    I agree it could be very useful for some people. I've not experience of it myself, but maybe it could be a sub section under home, law and money? 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    MikeAnch0r33Liam
  • LiamLiam mint Posts: 1,587 Extreme Poster
    edited September 9
    A sub section would be awesome. I dont know of many (if any) people  who have also experienced the care system who i am able to chat with...so that would make it super easy to share experiences etc. 
    MikeAnch0r33
  • MikeMike Screen addict 🎮 LondonPosts: 2,913 Community Manager
    Thanks so much for this suggestion guys. :)

We're always happy to consider adding new spaces if there's a clear need. @Anch0r33 you said you'd be happy to help develop it - would you like us to drop you a PM and we can go from there?

No obligaton, but is that something you'd be interested in too @Liam?  
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Anch0r33
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 429 Listening Ear
    Mike said:
    Thanks so much for this suggestion guys. :)

We're always happy to consider adding new spaces if there's a clear need. @Anch0r33 you said you'd be happy to help develop it - would you like us to drop you a PM and we can go from there?

No obligaton, but is that something you'd be interested in too @Liam?  
    Hi again! Yes I'd love for you to drop me a pm regarding this. I've been talking to Liam as well who's obviously keen for this section too. Hopefully we can all get something going
    👁️👄👁️
    Ace, thanks @Anch0r33! We'll be in touch soon. No guarantees at this stage but it's definitely something we're keen to explore with you and other care-experienced folk. :3 And @Liam if you'd like us to drop you a PM too just give us a shout and we can loop you into that exploration process.
    Anch0r33
  • LiamLiam mint Posts: 1,587 Extreme Poster
    I'd be happy to help wherever I can :)@Mike @Anch0r33
    MikeAnch0r33
    @Alex this might be something that interests you? 
    👁️👄👁️
    LiamAlex
  • AlexAlex Posts: 41 Boards Initiate
    Anch0r33 said:
    @Alex this might be something that interests you? 
    Hi Anchor, absolutely! @Mike - I would love to see an area too. I have been in care, fostered and adopted. I think a sub section, even with some links to helpful resources and a chat thread would be a great start. Thank you for tagging me @Anch0r33 x
    Anch0r33
    No worries @Alex thought it might be something you'd like! 

@Mike looks like there'll hopefully be plenty of ideas. 

I'm gonna do a little research into different organisations that may be of use to us! 
    👁️👄👁️
    Alex
    Hey all, I wanted to give this a quick bump and also share some resources which I've found. 

@Mike @Liam @Alex let me know if you've got any others! I was also thinking we could extend our area for young carers as well, as it opens it up a little!

And some websites include coramvoice, whocares?scotland, Propel and hopefully I'll find some more. 

Mike do we have any updates on your end? I'm too eager, sorry! 
    👁️👄👁️
    Thanks so much everyone!

Aware I've PM'd about this already, but wanted to also say an open thank you for putting so much thought and effort into this. It goes a long way, and shows just how important space like this could be to some folks on the community. Really glad this is something we're doing.

For transparency: the staff team and the lovely folks who commented on this thread are putting together an initial plan of what a care-experienced area could look like. As that development moves forward, we'll also be looping in the wider community so you can get involved. :)

@Anch0r33 this is super useful - nice recon! We can definitely make use of these once the space is created. They could inform guidelines and be pooled together to make an informational post.

Anch0r33 said:
    I was also thinking we could extend our area for young carers as well, as it opens it up a little!

This is a really interesting idea. In theory, they come under similar umbrellas (e.g. Home, Law & Money or even Relationships). That said, I wonder if the topics might be a little too different to sit in the same area? Thinking if we do share things like resources, they probably won't crossover.

Very open to other opinions on that, though. :)
    It is true that they may be a little different, I guess if resources are the same then we dedicate it to care experienced people and anyone can use the resources that seem to fit? 
    👁️👄👁️
    Mike
  • Millie2787Millie2787 🐶 💜 Posts: 3,594 Community Veteran
    As much as that’s a really good idea I feel like resources for Young carers and resources for those who have been in care are going to be vastly different.

As a Young adult carer myself a lot of resources for us are about managing our own emotions whilst carrying out some quite demanding tasks, How to manage education whilst being carrying out tasks and links to awareness courses and Courses specifically designed for us 

Whilst I recognise that some things to do with managing emotions may be similar that could be said for any topic and I just think think the Needs of Young carers and the Needs of young people in the care system/been in the care system are just too vastly different to be grouped together 

This isn’t me having a dig in any way I just wanted to give a perspective from a young adult carers point of view , hope this was okay :) 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Anch0r33GreenTea
    @Millie2787 nah I totally agree and tbh was looking for ways to include others, but tbh we need our own area and you guys need your own place too (which you have in your chat?). 

I do believe a lot of things will overlap but like you and Liam said, they're very different and your input as a young carer is very much welcomed! 

We're currently in discussion regarding the care experienced area and all agreed that it's not the place for a young carer section, it was just a thought that came into my head and decided to share when I was brain storming! 
    👁️👄👁️
  • Millie2787Millie2787 🐶 💜 Posts: 3,594 Community Veteran
    @Anch0r33 no I totally understand that and I know many of us carers would of been grateful for the consideration 💜

And your right the last thing you want is to see us taking about how we’re still with family when you might potentially  have just been taken away from them and it might be a hard for you to hear.

A lot of things can overlap in terms of general but then there’s the question on if it’s that general then is it not suitable for the whole of the community 

Again thank you so much for the consideration and i just love  to see things like this happen because it’s important for you to have your own space 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Anch0r33
  • Kasa2103Kasa2103 Posts: 4,317 The Mix Elder
    I have not had any experience of being in care but I would love to be able to help out with this if my help would be appreciated. :)
    Everyone is special in their own way. We make each other strong (we make each other strong.) We're not the same. We're different in a good way. Together's where we belong. We're all in this together. Once we know. That we are. We're all stars. And we see that. We're all in this together. And it shows. When we stand. Hand in hand. Make our dreams come true.
    Anch0r33Mike