Home Fix The Mix
Fill out The Mix's Annual User Survey for a chance to win a £200 Amazon voucher, to shape our services, and get closer to earning a badge!
Need support urgently? Click here

Could you add this to your rules?

ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 9,864 Supreme Poster
No vague posting about users in social media statues/tweets It does happen. I know you can't moderate it but as like reminder that it is not okay. Thank you
if you have the strength to sustain anorexia you have the strength to overcome it
Laine

Comments

• independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 3,906 Community Veteran
    Isnt this already in the rules somewhere? 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 9,864 Supreme Poster
    I think its in the rules to not speak about users outside of the mix. But ive seen it done without mentioning names but the person can still know its them. 
    if you have the strength to sustain anorexia you have the strength to overcome it
  • independent_independent_ Resident Coffee Addict ScotlandPosts: 3,906 Community Veteran
    oh yeah definitely. I thought I’d seen it in the rules a while back. Not sure though maybe I’m wrong aha.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    Shaunie
  • ShaunieShaunie England 🏠Posts: 9,864 Supreme Poster
    edited June 18
    Deleted. I dont think it made sense ahah
  • GreenTeaGreenTea ☕🌻☕ MidlandsPosts: 6,711 Master Poster
    edited June 18
    It is a rule and it does get flagged. 
    Remember lots happens behind the scenes too!

The scars you can't see are the hardest to heal.     

Astrid Alauda

• LaineLaine Llama Mama Gone for GooPosts: 2,146 Boards Champion
    Hey Shaunie! Vague posting is a community guideline and has been recently updated https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3593142/community-guidelines

While it does not mention outside of the mix I believe things still get taken seriously.

If you believe that someone is tweeting about you etc you can still talk to the mix team and appropriate action will be taken. 

I'll get some clarification from Mike when he gets back :) 

But while not much can done on the mix side about where and what they post, if they are a member here the mix can do something ☺️

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"What's gonna be left of the world if you're not in it?" ~ Bastille

"Here's to the ones that we got
    Cheers to the wish you were here, but you're not" ~ Maroon 5
  • MikeMike Screen addict 🎮 LondonPosts: 2,661 Community Manager
    edited July 25
    Great question here, and one worthy of discussion. :)

What the guidelines say

For those who don't know, this is also covered in our mod policy:

Issues outside of The Mix
    Moderators don't follow any members of The Mix community in other places (e.g. social media), which means we don't know what goes on there unless someone tells us. If an issue related to the community is being talked about elsewhere, please let us know. Provided we have evidence and the issue is related to The Mix, we can do something about it.

Keep in mind that, while there are consequences for breaking our guidelines away from The Mix (e.g. breaking someone's confidentiality or anonymity), we have no control over the posts themselves on other platforms.

So there are a couple of key things to note here about social media posts:

1. If it's explicitly related to The Mix, we can step in
    2. If it's too vague to prove a connection, we probably can't

The other element of this is bullying. If we have evidence that a member of the community is being bullied by another member outside of The Mix, it's likely we will take action against the person responsible to make sure this community remains a safe space for the person being targeted.

As @Laine said, although we have limited control over things posted on other platforms, you can still bring these concerns to us and they will be taken seriously. What we can practically do is likely to be quite limited because we need to be realistic about what we can control or have evidence for, but it's still best to let us know so we can have that context if something similar comes up in future. And if we identify a pattern, we might have grounds to bring this to the person responsible for the posts.

Changes we could make

We're very open to having a discussion about this, because this is quite a tricky thing to establish guidelines on. As @GreenTea said, conversations do happen behind the scenes and we do talk to people about their social media activity if it becomes a concern and we have proof of that.

Circling back to your initial question @Shaunie: we could add something to the guidelines about social media vagueposting. The tricky spot for us, as you mentioned, is that we wouldn't have a way to enforce it. So we would need to include a disclaimer to explain that if we did decide to.

What do we think?

A final thought...

It also feels worth mentioning here that, if you think someone is indirectly posting about you elsewhere and The Mix can't get involved, it's best to try and ignore it. Obviously that's much easier said than done (who wouldn't want to see what someone is saying about them?), but that's the best piece of practical advice we can give anyone in that position. If it helps, perhaps ask yourself why you feel compelled to check their activity and how you could shift your thinking so that urge either feels less intense or goes away completely. You can't control what people say, but you can control what you see. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

chubbydumpling