Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Depression?

Catherine0w0Catherine0w0 Posts: 8 Confirmed not a robot
Hi :'( . Umm I kind of don't know if I have depression or not because I always feel like I am sad but that  should hide it or people will think that I am weak. Or because I have a big family and I say I am lonely they would call me spoiled. I don't know how to talk but I thought this could probably help me in some way. If you see this please help me by talking to me. :'(

Comments

• StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Hey Catherine,

Just to let you know I have moved your thread to our health and wellbeing section, as it's more suited for this section of the boards

Sorry to hear you are struggling, we're here for you :heart:

Have you talked to anybody else about this? 

Do you think you could speak to your GP about things, we're not medically trained at The Mix, however it sounds like like you are struggling. 

With regards to talking about things you've taken the first step which is very brave, and we care about you :heart:

Sending hugs 
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :) 

I can understand what you mean - feeling ashamed of yourself for feeling this way, and ungrateful for feeling lonely despite being around people, are both common for people with depression! But let's be clear - anyone can be depressed regardless of whether they are the most or least fortunate people in the world, so don't feel bad for feeling down. The best thing you can do right now is acknowledge that what you're feeling is something that can get better, that there is support out there, and that people do care for you <3

I think the first thing you can do is go to the GP and discuss this with them. They can provide the professional support you need for recovery (medication, counselling etc). If you have a friend you trust to discuss this with, I'd also talk to them - I know it's scary, but good friends can lean on one another during good and bad times! If not, then using a service (e.g. Samaritans) or forums (like this!) can also work.

I think that hiding it doesn't really work - most people can pick up that something's wrong. So while I wouldn't parade it around or anything, I don't think hiding it at all costs really is the best thing either. Best thing is to be honest but keep it short - "I'm going through a rough time", without the details.

Always here to chat on PM if you ever want to talk!x

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.