Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Self harming

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2020 in Health & Wellbeing
Ive had a bad few days of self harming. I think because of dates of abuse. I dont normally do it in places you can see but been doing it in place can see just cause it feels like first place i think of when i want to and easiest place. Now im feeling really really bad because it will scar and i really regret it but want to keep doing it but without it scaring and i feel really bad and now i just hate my body even more and i know my sister would be disgust if she saw it when it heals and feel judged and i feel so so bad. Mostly from my family seeing it. Please helpp. Like tell me it doesnt matter or something lol. I dont have many scars in obvious places cause im scared of being jduged but ive had a shit few weeks/ days of self harming and i don’t know wht to do now. I cant go back in time obviiusly and worse part is i just feel like doing it again. Please help me i dont want to have to cover my body my whole life. And i dont want people to see it and just prejudge me. :'(:'(:'( 
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Comments

• StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Hey Shaunie,

It sounds like you've got a lot going on at the minute, sending hugs. :heart:

How long have you been self-harming for? Do you have any distraction techniques that have helped you?

You are not alone in this, we are all here for you :smile::heart:

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ElizabethElizabeth Posts: 93 Budding Regular
    Hey Shaunie,

hope you are ok? I’m not sure if this will be any help, but I use the app ‘calm harm’ it gives you other things to help be distracted until the feeling goes. Sometimes the app isn’t the best to deal with it but I find using an elastic band to flick (it’s sounds weird I know) but it helps feel something and causes less harm. To deal with scars, you could consider using cream or oil as this can make them less visible. I know it’s really hard to not do it (cause I’m struggling to) but it really doesn’t make anything better. I really want you to be ok, and everyone here really cares about you so much ❤️. 

I find it helps to distract myself by talking to someone, I like to use 7cups. I really don’t want you to feel alone so just know you can message me or the mix anytime xx 

Sending hugs! 
  • Lucy307Lucy307 Posts: 1,171 Wise Owl
    Sending massive hugs your way Shaunie, I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this at the moment. I have a good friend with self harm scars and it hasn't stopped her from doing anything in her life and most people don't even notice, just in case that's any comfort. Do you feel comfortable talking to your counsellor about this in your next session, understanding that the date has been the trigger? 
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend