Home Fix The Mix
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Shouting about The Mix - Young Carers!

ItaliaItalia Posts: 177 Helping Hand
Happy Friday Everyone!

Over here at The Mix HQ we are looking for some fresh ideas, and thought who better to ask than you. You really do come up with some great ideas =)

The Mix is doing some work on making our services more inclusive for young people who have an unpaid caring role! You may have seen some great posts by @Abigail and @Millie2787 about Young Carers over the past week or so.

Part of this work is telling young carers about The Mix, what we do and how we can help them. We will be attending the Young Carers Festival at the end of June, where there will be 1300 young carers :o and we not only want to hear what they have to say but also want tell them all about The Mix and how we might be able to help. 

The question is how do we do this? 

We would love to hear your thoughts on the questions below...

1. How would you describe The Mix to your friends who don't know about it? 

2. What is something memorable that we give Young Carers so that when they get home they think to look us up, e.g. pens, tote bags, stress ball with our Logo on it? 

We would love to hear any other ideas you have as well, it all helps! 

Thanks team :) 
Italia. 
"Let everything happen to you. Beauty and Terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final"
- Rainer Maria Rilke 
AbigailHarryT

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 🐶 💜 Posts: 4,296 The Mix Elder
    1. How would you describe The Mix to your friends who don't know about it? 
    I think of the mix as one big huge family who will know what your going through and where you can share whatever is on your mind knowing that someone in the community will be able to help, offer your advice or something just offer hugs which can just be as helpful as advice !

2. What is something memorable that we give Young Carers so that when they get home they think to look us up 
    soo Thinking back to when I went I loved to go round collecting pens ! There’s something  about pens that young people like 😂 Also wristbands , I remember collecting some of them from the NHS think carer stand and I still have them somewhere and definitely Stress ball and badges are always a hit in my eyes.
    maybe even just some leaflets or little like business cards that have the website and key numbers like helpline and crisis text line on :) 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Italia
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 177 Helping Hand
    Nice!

Thanks @Millie2787 that is really helpful to know. I especially love your description of The Mix  <3

I am glad to hear that you think little business cards are helpful, that is something we already have with the crisis text number and all our other services. I will post a picture in a couple of weeks of what we end up with, but this is a great start :)
    "Let everything happen to you. Beauty and Terror. Just keep going. No feeling is final"
    - Rainer Maria Rilke 
    @italia you could almost make goodie bags up with the tote bags and put in a pen , some of those cards and whatever else you source etc . Just I kinda idea 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Italia
  • HarryTHarryT Posts: 131 The Mix Convert
    edited June 2019
    Hey @Italia!

So I love how @Millie2787 has described The Mix as a family - I think that's really important. I often tell people that The Mix is a safe space where you can get support on anything and everything in a way that suits you, whether that's over the phone, on the boards, in a chat etc. 

I think young people love free 'stuff' and so would flock to you for any free merch at all. I think the little contact cards are really effective - I'm wondering if the information from them could be transferred onto a keyring/pencil case or something similar, that could be quite cool. I'd aim to give items people usually use in groups or use often, to start conversations (e.g. pens/pencilcases used in classrooms, waterbottle used at school/work)

Hope this has helped!
    "I know what I have to do now, I’ve got to keep breathing because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
    Cast Away

Italia
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your ideas! It is really helpful to hear about how you all describe The Mix, because we have so many services sometimes it can be the hardest part.

The ideas about tote bags and pens are really good! We will be ordering some things this week hopefully, but in the meantime if anyone has any more ideas or suggestions let us know :) 

Thanks
    Italia 
    - Rainer Maria Rilke 
  • AbigailAbigail Carer/musician Posts: 688 Incredible Poster
    Who ever it is who goes to represent the mix get them to speak to the leaders the leaders are the people who can push stuff, the info they get is more likely to come back to there centre than the young peoples information. Speaking to young people but also the leaders is good. So small sheet of what the mix is and what we offer and talk about the project as well. Obviously we dont have much to offer young carers at the moment but building it for them we want them involved with it. I know the festival is in 11 days (12 for charities to go in the tent). 

If that makes no sense let me know. 
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
    Hey @Italia

I'm curious, how did the young carers festival go in the end? Looked like everyone down there had a blast but not seen anything about the mix on twitter? You can tell us the truth if the heat got the better of the team :joy: 

Speak soon
    Abi
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • DancerDancer Bog Off Justine! Posts: 5,897 Part of The Furniture
    Italia said:
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your ideas! It is really helpful to hear about how you all describe The Mix, because we have so many services sometimes it can be the hardest part.

The ideas about tote bags and pens are really good! We will be ordering some things this week hopefully, but in the meantime if anyone has any more ideas or suggestions let us know :) 

Thanks
    Italia 
    I agree that pens and tote bags sound like great ideas. I can't actually think of any other ideas as there are like a million different t-shirt sizes  (exaggeration but there are loads so it would be hard to get the right sizes in.)
    I'm a fruit loop. 🍊➰

There's a part of me I can't get back.  A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same.
  • DancerDancer Bog Off Justine! Posts: 5,897 Part of The Furniture
    Abigail said:
    Hey @Italia

I'm curious, how did the young carers festival go in the end? Looked like everyone down there had a blast but not seen anything about the mix on twitter? You can tell us the truth if the heat got the better of the team :joy: 

Speak soon
    Abi
    I never knew anyone from The Mix went to the young carers festival.  The heat most likely did get the better of the team. The weather recently has been stupidly hot but today was not as bad for me (between 18 degrees Celsius and 25 degrees Celsius but has felt more like 20 degrees- phew.) I am also curious about how it went.
    I'm a fruit loop. 🍊➰

There's a part of me I can't get back.  A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same.
    Heya, 

Thanks for your help on this thread, its really good to know what works for people. @Abigail, @Kasa2103 I am catching up with the staff who went along to the festival today so will let you know, I can't wait to find out in detail either. I do know that we had lots of young people come by and take part in some of the activities we had planned so that's good news! 

@Kasa2103 this is the first year we have gone to the festival, as we have just started doing targeted work with young carers this year. Saturday was so hot! 

Keep an eye out for an update! I will let you know when I do. 
    - Rainer Maria Rilke 
    Abigail
    edited July 2019

Hey Everyone, 

Update on Young Carers Festival!

It went really well! 

We had 172 young carers come along and engage with the activities in our stall. Of this number only 2 had heard of The Mix before and were aware of what we did. 

We also spoke to over 30 leaders - Thanks for the tips @Abigail about speaking with the leaders. It was really helpful and we gave them some of our resources. 

We had a lot of feedback about what topics young carers would like us to focus on over the next year, and lots of ideas that hopefully we will be able to turn into some good pieces of content. 

We also had a few ideas for the videos we are hoping to create! Everyone at the festival was lovely and really engaged. Hopefully we can go again next year! 

Any questions just ask.

Thanks
    Italia 
    - Rainer Maria Rilke 
    Abigail
    edited July 2019
    @italia

Sounds like you had really good responses considering how hot it was Becuase I know how hot that voice zone tent can get ! 

Bet it’s great to hear the opinions and voices of other young carers that aren’t just me and @Abigail and aswell having a range of ages will have meant they would of all had completely different ideas ! 

It would be great if you went along next year that way you would be able to feedback to some of the leaders the things you’ve done and reach out to a whole new group of young people ! 

Aimee
    Hey @Millie2787

Oh yes, the staff that went said the tent was very hot, we had some short one off activities and then some longer activities, and we think because it was so hot that's why people were more keen to take part in the short one off activities. 

We really appreciate yours and @Abigail's input, and the stuff we got on the weekend is a bit different from some of the things we have been working with you two on. Once we get a bit of a report together I will share it with you two, in the next couple of weeks :) 

We are feeling excited about getting on with creating some great content for young carers at The Mix. 
    - Rainer Maria Rilke 
    We also spoke to over 30 leaders - Thanks for the tips @Abigail about speaking with the leaders. It was really helpful and we gave them some of our resources. 
    No problem at all, its how i networked at the carers festival so passing on from one to another.

We really appreciate yours and @Abigail's input, and the stuff we got on the weekend is a bit different from some of the things we have been working with you two on. Once we get a bit of a report together I will share it with you two, in the next couple of weeks  

It will be really good to hear what others have suggested and work through the list with you to work out which articles and if there is anything that we might have to help (e.g articles to help, experience and worse case scenario we end up writing it for you :joy: ) Also be fairly nice to know that coming into the adult system for myself knowing that we have a lot more content for a wide range of ages as sadly me and @Millie2787 are of a similar age. 

You guys took a massive leap going there and its paid off so that's good.

speak soon

Abi

Italia