Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Just wanted to clarify the bailiff laws

LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
So my mums in a lot of debt due to my dads alcohol addiction. 

A bailiff came a while ago,  wrote some down some stuff we don't really care everythings either broken or won't get him his money. 

He came today to take them but instead of doing so wrote down more things,  the microwave is on that list so is a few phones(the land line and a few of people mobiles) 

I'm given to understand that the microwave comes under basic household essentials along with fridges,  cookers,  freezers ect. 

It also states that bailiffs may not take landlines or mobiles. 

While I can find all this advice easily I'm not sure of my next step,  do I ring someone up?  Or do I wait for him to come tomorrow and tell him he can't?

Or wait until he takes it and then complain?
We have no attachment to material goods so he can take everything else fine but I'm just not sure what to do if he tries to take the household essentials or the stuff that I've brought since it is mine? 

This guy has long been breaking the rules since he first turned up. 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Hi @Laine  

I had a search and found 'Check what baliffs can take' on Citizen's Advice:

Also good info from The Guardian national newspaper:

Hope those help.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Hey Floxy thanks!  

If he turns up tomorrow I'm not letting him in without a warrant and I've complained to the court enforcement officials because his website is dodgy, full of bad reviews and he's broken a lot of rules.

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Laine said:
    Hey Floxy thanks!  

If he turns up tomorrow I'm not letting him in without a warrant and I've complained to the court enforcement officials because his website is dodgy, full of bad reviews and he's broken a lot of rules.
    Good for you and well done! That's fighting back! You've got spirit, @Laine   =)
  • AifeAife Community Manager Posts: 3,026 Boards Guru
    Hey @Laine

I just wanted to check in and ask how things are going? It's really positive that you made a complaint to the court enforcement officials about what's been going on with the bailiff. Did they get back to you about your complaint? 

Hope things are okay :) 

- Aife
    Maybe somethings don't get better, but we do. We get stronger. We learn to live with our situations as messy and ugly as they are. We fix what we can and we adapt to what we can't. Maybe some of us will never fully be okay, but at least we're here. We're still trying. We're doing the best we can. That's worth celebrating too ❤
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    I had to make a complaint with the officials because his office didn't have a complaints part and was dodgy, I haven't heard owt back since :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈