Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

2004 Council tax bill claw back in 2017 how so ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, I lived in the same flat for 20 years. Just moved out two months ago and i always paid Council tax every year I was living there . Council just sent me a bill for unpaid council tax for the year 2004 and are taking so much per month from my benefit. Its hard enough trying to live on benefit but the amount they are taking is too much. How so it has taken them years to realise I owe them money from 2004. Is there anything I can do to check that they have made a mistake or reduce there monthly clawback.

Thanks in advance for replies


  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Coston and welcome to the board. :)

    I feel this situation with your local council should be taken to a solicitor/lawyer as soon as possible. On choosing a solicitor's firm, the first half an hour is known to be free of charge and your advocate will give you very useful advice.

    Or, contact your local branch of Citizen's Advice: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

    Before attending an appointment, shortlist your most important concerns. Also, tell them you are on benefits. Regarding Citizen's Advice, they have highly trained people to help with specific problems. The charity runs on voluntary contributions, so you are free to give according to your financial means, or not if you are unable.

    Please come back to us as your situation progresses.

    All the best,
Sign In or Register to comment.