Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

National Coming Out Day - 11th October

plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
Hey guys,

So apparently there is a day for everything now - and I saw some stuff pop up on Facebook about today being National Coming Out Day.

I've had to do a fair bit of coming out this year (including telling my parents after being in a same-sex relationship 7 years) and have been mainly pleasantly surprised that people are actually quite accepting and mainly don't actually turn it in to a reason to hate me like I did to myself for ages.

So what I suppose I'm trying to say is - we all have our stories - it's not easy to come out, but I hope one day you can all be comfortable with who you are :)

I was reading this article earlier and it proposed (for straight people admittedly) that for the next week anyone you meet, assume they are gay until proven otherwise. Why? Because coming out happens every day in just mundane tasks not just the big "telling someone important" events. The number of times people move from me saying "my partner" to "your boyfriend" happens way more than you think and then I have to make a spot decision whether to come out and what the effect will be on that conversation, blah!

So, anyone willing to give it a go? :)

The link to the article is here if anyone wants to read more http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/national-coming-out-day-stories-straight-people-what-you-should-to-to-help-a7355741.html

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Kate!
    Congrats on coming out to your family! I know first hand how scary this can be.

I think the gay until proven otherwise would be a really good idea. People don't realise that you don't just 'come out' once and then that's it all over and done with, you have to come out everyday because people always assume that because I'm in a relationship, it must be with a boy, especially because I don't 'look' gay.
    Each time you have to come out it's scary, you never know how people are going to react, especially if they're people you just met.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hiccup wrote: »
    Each time you have to come out it's scary, you never know how people are going to react, especially if they're people you just met.

This so much! It's the constant feeling vulnerable because you just don't know how others will react.