Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

My mental health is in a downward spiral of fucked up-ness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My mental health is bad. It's the worst it's been in a while. And I'm getting worried. It's taking all my will rn not to self harm, and I'm worried that when I get back to school I'll have too much to focus on and it'll go even more to shit. I've tries various coping strategies but the only ones that do work can't be done in school. And I'm getting suicidal thoughts. Pretty bad.
I have no clue what to do. Bc I've never actually self-harmed, and I present a cheerful front to the world (I should be in the West End my acting is so good), my parents aren't going to believe me if I tell them, so I can't get a counsellor.
How do you manage? How do you cope with the stress of life? I've got exams, school, World Challenge to Mongolia, uni visits and applications, all that shit going on, and my health's got worse. I dunno if it's to do with that bc I wasn't this bad in my GCSEs or if it's just me but. How do you manage? Please. I can't even get a full good day at the moment. Please help someone. I wanna know how you do it!!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hi @Ruth01 I'm really glad you're reaching out. It is very brave of you. If you are having thoughts of suicide I urge you to reach out to your parents, your friends, any services that specialize in mental health issues and self-harm support. You are not alone, there are people who are willing and able to help.

When the stresses of life get to me, I first try to center myself physically. I will literally ask myself where I am, and take notice of how my body feels. I tell myself, I am here, I am okay, I am safe. It reminds me that I am not where my exams are, I am not in all the chapters I must study, I am not in the forms and applications I must fill out. I am here, in myself, where it is safe. I find that repeating that mantra of sorts calms me down (especially my breathing), and when I am in a more relaxed state I am able to check in with myself and figure out why I'm feeling so worked up.

Your parents love and care about you, that goes without saying. Give them the opportunity to demonstrate that they do by opening up to them. Just as it was a very mature thing for you to open up to this forum, it is just as equally mature of you to express yourself to your parents. They may be able to take the edge off the pressure you're feeling?

My experience may not be exactly like yours, no two life experiences are. But please remember that there are people around to help you. We have all experienced intense pressure and feelings of being overwhelmed, but it is possible to get through it. :heart:
  • Options
    Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Ruth. As bouvier says well done for reaching out and we are here to listen :)

To add to the great advice above, we have loads of great articles on TheMix that might be worth a read and might help you. In particular, from reading your post I thought of this expert chat on Dealing with Stress, and this Guide to Self Care.

Do remember you are not alone, I'm sure as you get to know the community here you will see how many other people have felt like you do, so I'm sure there will be plenty of tips and advice to share.

Finally, if you do have suicidal thoughts please do consider getting in touch with Samaritans or Papyrus who are there to talk to you and help keep you safe.

And of course do keep coming back to talk as much as you need :)
  • Options
    Hey @Ruth01 - just checking in to see how you're doing? :)