Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gf depression advice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hey I'm new to this, but my girlfriend of 5 months, yea pretty new, has had a tough family life over the past few years and is struggling with depression. She hats the way she looks, barely eats anything other than salad and won't ever express her emotions to me or anyone. Ive tried to help her as best i could by just talking to her and giving a shoulder to cry on but she still cries her self to sleep a lot. Ive brought up tying to get her to get professional help but she dosnt want to do that because of past experiences with her family. Any suggestions how to help her?

Comments

• Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey, welcome to TheSite :wave:

TheSite have a good article on depression in partners I will link it here:

http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relationships/relationships/my-boyfriendgirlfriend-has-depression-6069.html

Hopefully that helps you.

I guess just letting her know you are there for her, to talk if she does want to talk, she may not be ready to talk about it.

I guess it's going to take time to build up the trust if she's had some experiences in the pas, after getting professional support.

I hope she gets some support, also you could mention to her about maybe joining TheSite herself to chat about things, there is also other support networks out there.

Don't be too hard on yourself about her not speaking to you, these things take time.

Keep posting, we are here for you :heart:

" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi there rmuel18

From what you have said it sounds like your girlfriend is having a tough time. Depression in a partner can be such a hard thing to deal with in any relationship, and it must be pretty challenging in a new one. You obviously care for her and it seems as if you are doing all you can, being supportive and understanding which is really amazing of you :).

There are a few places you could go to for further info or just to talk to some other people in a similar situation.

Check out: http://www.madlyinlove.org.uk/ for more discussion boards, stories and expert advice or if you would like to talk to someone you could call SANE who offer support and information to people affected by mental illness. 0845 767 8000.

... and of course we can just carry on having a chat here too

big hugs