Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Will he get over alcohol addiction?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive got an alcoholic friend who after 10 years has agreed to get help for his drink problem. What's the chances it'll actually work? As he also suffers from bipolar

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats great that he has agreed to get help. His recovery all depends on how much he really wants his drinking to stop. My father is an alcoholic and bipolar and is 25 years sober. I know for him AA meetings were his savior. Remember there's always a chance. Don't give up on your friend. I know friends who have quit drinking with their friend and that extra support helps a lot. Good luck to you and your friend.
    Hi Bulmerwhirl,

As peabs says, your friends recovery really depends on how much he wants to stop drinking and if he's willing to put in the effort because it's an exhausting battle. It's extremely positive that he is agreeing to get help, but it's really important that nobody pushes him too much.

The fact you're asking here does suggest that you care a lot about him - just keep being there for him. I think if your friend pushes past this first hurdle then the only way is up! It has to be all in his own time though, it won't happen overnight and too much pressure from too many people might just push him right back down again.

Remember you're important in all of this too. Supporting anyone with any health issue or addiction can certainly be overwhelming. How are you coping with all of this?
    Hi Bulmerwhirl yes having someone in your life that you love and care about who have drink problems could get serious good help from their GP and supportive groups or even maybe councelling it is a tough thing to go through but i am sure that there will be a light at the end of the tunnell.

good luck stay strong