Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Annoying things said to people with autism

louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
So... this is the last day in April which means the end of autism awareness month <3 I thought i would share with you annoying things that are said to me and others with autism.
-Oh , so you don't like people?
-Autism isn't real
-Autism is just a result of bad parenting
-You can't have autism- you seem normal
-Autism? but...you are normal...
-Oh i know all about autism, i read a book
-Oh yeah i met one person with autism 2 years ago, i know how you feel
-I can't be friends with you then (genuine response)
-I'm allergic to that (like...what?)
-So you don't have a boy/girlfriend then?
-Stop using autism as an excuse, everyone has problems
-Were you given injections as a child? (I mean seriously...)
-There is no such thing as autism
-Autism is just an excuse for bad behaviour

There are loads more things people say about autism that are really annoying because they simply aren't true (feel free to comment any). Autism awareness is so important and maybe one day things like these wont be said <3

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You forgot the "in my day it didn't exist". It did. You just wouldn't haven't seen them. They were ignored, diagnosed with other stuff (AD(H)D, depression, OCD, Schizophrenia, etc) or put into institutions.

I've heard almost all of them in some form. Usually from people who really should know better.

And then there's the "you've just been diagnosed? It can't be that bad then". Um, yeah, that's why I had to ask for a diagnosis. (and currently tearing my hair out because I can't communiate properly over what I really want)
  • Options
    louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Melian wrote: »
    You forgot the "in my day it didn't exist". It did. You just wouldn't haven't seen them. They were ignored, diagnosed with other stuff (AD(H)D, depression, OCD, Schizophrenia, etc) or put into institutions.

I've heard almost all of them in some form. Usually from people who really should know better.

And then there's the "you've just been diagnosed? It can't be that bad then". Um, yeah, that's why I had to ask for a diagnosis. (and currently tearing my hair out because I can't communiate properly over what I really want)

Omg yeah that's so annoying too. People are just so ignorant sometimes. I was diagnosed at fourteen so not too late but if people were sent on basic courses then I reckon it would have been quicker. Hugs x
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks. :) I was diagnosed at 23 after twice been diagnosed with depression and OCD. Having spoken to some friends with Autism, my situation isn't that unusual.
This discussion has been closed.