Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Too ashamed to tell about IBS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel embarrassed and ashamed that I might have IBS ie Irritable Bowel Syndrome. This is how I've been feeling ever since I noticed the signs and symptoms of having this. I'm not sure what I can do because I had a blood test done not long ago to see but when I asked the nurse she said the results said I have low Iron. Although is that got anything to do with it? Been on iron tablets before so suprised it said it again.

I'm sorry but why hasn't the problem gone? Do hear about from the doctor next week so should mention to her that the IBS is this there and don't think I have low Iron as not long ago I was on Iron tablets. Proberly tell me what to do. What can I do now?

Not sure what is the best thing.

Please help :(

Comments

• Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Hi CrazyCat,

Low iron can be an ongoing and recurrent condition because your body processes iron all the time. So if you have had problems before, it's likely you will have issues in the future.

Regarding the IBS, I'd mention to the Dr again your symptoms and ask whether the iron treatment is expected to help - it could be a side effect of the medication or the condition that is making you have IBS symptoms - or it could be IBS itself. Make sure you don't leave until you are clear on your symptoms, what it could be and what you can do to get it sorted.

It might be that they got your blood results and saw iron deficiency as the most important thing to manage, which is why they talked about the iron and not possible IBS.
  • Options
    Why u changed it? Thanks very much :(
  • Options
    CrazyCat wrote: »
    Why u changed it? Thanks very much :(

Hey CrazyCat,

We encourage people to add a bit of detail into the titles of their threads so I've changed it to make it easier for people to see what it's about. That way others who may have experienced it can more easily find it and offer their advice.

I was going to PM you to explain :) It can help your threads to be noticed by the people that can relate to what you're going through.

Hope that makes sense *hug*