Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Test: Will you still be together in 6 months?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
relationship-talk.jpg

I am sure a lot of us reach a stage in a relationship, where we start questioning everything - either if it's going great or you are getting bored. So, I thought this article about 'how to figure out your relationship's future' would be useful to share with you guys. :)

Here is the link: http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2014/3/3/will-you-still-be-together-in-six-months-take-the-quiz.html

This article also offers you a test, where you can check if you'll still be dating your partner in six months. And it seems, the test has been based on scientific studies with 3 000 dating folks in the U.S., Europe, and Canada. Sounds reasonable, so it must be worth trusting! :)

I've done this test myself and I was happy with the answer I've got, even if it wasn't perfect. By reflecting on this, I realised, the score meant that I still have to work on some things with my partner, and with time hopefully we will improve our relationship.

However, the most important thing to remember when doing these tests is - Do not get discouraged if you get a low score! These numbers are only meant to make you take a moment and reflect on what it might be telling you. To see how you feel and also, to see what things are happening with you and around you. Maybe your relationship just needs a little more time to build closeness and intimacy. :)

P.S. There are a lot of great advices how to get closer with your partner at the end of the article! ;)

So, finally, if anyone dares to do this test... :D
What are your thoughts about it?
Do you think it works?
How does it make you feel?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is a really interesting idea and I think it could help with reflecting on your relationship as you say. I'd prefer it if it went into a bit more depth about the sorts of things you like/are looking for in a partner but I suppose the point of it was to be a simple test to give you a bit of food for thought.

The article talks a bit about IOS (inclusion of other in the self) and while I think that could be an important factor in many people's relationships, I do wonder if it could be very different for other people. Some people might actually be much happier living very independent lives and keeping a highly defined sense of self but still be committed to their partner in other ways.

As for the tip at the end of the article, I liked it. It's something that I already think about with regards to my relationship and we do definitely make some effort towards having new experiences. It can be hard when you're busy but it's good to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing Elyte :)
    No problem, Lammity! As long as it interests others and people find some things useful there, I'm glad! ;)

I do agree with you about a test with some deeper questions though. It probably would be a bit more helpful to analyze ourselves and our relationships if it was asking more about specific behaviors, attributes and things that we like & are looking for in a partner. Very good point!

But, yeah, I think they just wanted to make a simple standardized test for all couples. And from there you can discuss deeper issues and stuff like that, I guess. :) maybe they even have those more advanced tests but they are unavailable to public! :P that happens quite a lot nowadays because everything costs money...
    Hi Elyte,

Thanks for sharing this. I found the test easy to follow - I guess it's a simple test which is easy to fill in for everyone but obviously can give you a rough idea about your relationship.

What struck me more was the article - there were a few great tips for couples like 'engage in challenging activities' pointing to that 'Lots of research suggests that fostering a lifestyle of novelty and exploration as a couple can bring you closer'.

Overall a thought-provoking reading for this Sunday afternoon :thumb:
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I took the test, interesting... have many other people tried it?
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I tried it.
    As Helen says, interesting... but very few questions, so not sure how it can work on that basis. Some food for thought potentially though.
    I took it, I got a score of above average.

But i guess even the strongest of relationships breakdown, Anything can happen in 6months
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Emmalee wrote: »

But i guess even the strongest of relationships breakdown, Anything can happen in 6months

Very fair point. However, we probably have more control over that happening than we think. It's true that someone could just decide they don't love us anymore, or meet someone else they like better...but often in relationships, if people feel loved, respected, supported and able to be themselves, then they're much more likely to stick around. Can you think of things you'll do over the next 6 months to help ensure your score stays high?