Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cocaine binge & horrible nasal discharge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine went on something of a cocaine binge for about a week, ending 10 days ago. She is now freaking out because she continues to have horrible nasal discharge: blood and what (she showed me while basically having a panic attack) looks like pieces of tissue. Hard giant yellow and red chunks about a centimeter in size. I told her she probably just has a sinus infection from sticking bad things up her nose, but I wonder if it's something more. She went to clinic and told them sinus infection. They gave her prednisone and augmentin, but didn't really do any sort of exam. I think she should see an ENT doc bc it sounds like something worse. But I also don't want to frighten her more than she already was. (She definitely won't be using again, at least not up her nose). What do you think? Could her nasal tissues have begun necrosis to the point that augmentin and prednisone will be insufficient? Is it an emergency or can she await a referral to an ENT doc?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey MadsNYC, welcome to TheSite :wave:

I'm guessing from your username that you're based over in the USA? Just a heads up that this site is in the UK so in terms of being able to suggest services etc. we won't have as much knowledge I'm afraid. You're more than welcome to stick around though :)

I'm really sorry to hear about the experience your friend has had with cocaine, it sounds like it's really shaken her up and it's understandable that you're worried. With anything medical like this, attempting to diagnose online is a)not something we have the expertise to do and b)never a substitute for a face to face consultation. So we'd really encourage her to get back to the doctors if she's worried. Hopefully as they say, this is an infection and it will clear up with the medication. I'd encourage her to head back to the clinic if the symptoms become any worse. Maybe you could go along with her for moral support?

I thought I'd also mention to you the Reach Out website in case you haven't heard of it: http://us.reachout.com/ This is a similar site to ours but based in the USA so you may find it useful in terms of ongoing support or linking to services. Their Need Help Now Page has this link that might be useful:
    Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMSHA)
    Helpline provides 24-hour free and confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, and recovery in English and Spanish. Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

All the best :)