Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Uni/6th form what you expected?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
After hearing so many stories of how much fun University is........

I'm not sure what I really expected, it has its momments, but its not exactly mind blowingly amazing.

Whats other people's views?

Bopz
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I was dreading Uni. Moving to the UK felt like it was going to be a massive issue for me, but it's turned out to be absolutely mindblowing. :) Certainly the first two or three weeks were unbelievable, that whole episode is just one alcohol-blurred week.

The work's starting to make itself noticed, but I'm managing to keep up with that without compromising too much on my party life.
  • Options
    Uni's far better than I expected... I thought it would take me ages to adapt, find friends, etc. etc. but after the first week it was as if i'd been here for ages.

Two months in, its still one alchol-blurred experience! (do geography if you want time to drink every night!)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Uni's far better than I expected... I thought it would take me ages to adapt, find friends, etc. etc. but after the first week it was as if i'd been here for ages.

Two months in, its still one alchol-blurred experience! (do geography if you want time to drink every night!)

Or go to Liverpool.

:D
  • Options
    Geog here i come, the geog students in my flat do 4 day weeks...... I am really starting to hate maths, its just REALLY boring and I seem to have twice as many lectures as everyone else!

Don't even get me started about the buissnes study students, dont think they go to more then 2 lectures a week.

Bopz
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Geog here i come, the geog students in my flat do 4 day weeks...... I am really starting to hate maths, its just REALLY boring and I seem to have twice as many lectures as everyone else!

Don't even get me started about the buissnes study students, dont think they go to more then 2 lectures a week.

Bopz

:lol: yep maths is like that. Hence why I quit it after a year. Loving doing e-commerce though. Got more lectures than most of my flat mates and I'm the only one who's in every day, bu ti's not too bad. Just wish it wasn't Mnonday and Tuesdays that were my busiest days.
  • Options
    Well, I'm not finding uni life lives up to its stereotype of constant drunken haze, partying, and doing no work at all...

But I'm still having fun! The freedom and independence compared with living at home and going to school is great, plus there are some great people here, great pubs and the work is actually really interesting.

So I'm enjoying it in my own way, although I'm not sure it's the typical crazy uni experience.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz

Bopz

You're getting screwed. I do one day weeks!

Well, I *make* them into one day weeks. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by perfect***day
    Well, I'm not finding uni life lives up to its stereotype of constant drunken haze, partying, and doing no work at all...

But I'm still having fun! The freedom and independence compared with living at home and going to school is great, plus there are some great people here, great pubs and the work is actually really interesting.

So I'm enjoying it in my own way, although I'm not sure it's the typical crazy uni experience.

Well, if you will go to a uni that actually expects you to work...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    You're getting screwed. I do one day weeks!

Well, I *make* them into one day weeks. :D

Which uni do you go to, Huddersfield?:p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Which uni do you go to, Huddersfield?:p

A highly reputable one, dontcha know.

Nah, the workload is slowly creeping up, got a whole stack of essays, so even I've only got a handful of classes each week, I'm still in the library most days at the moment.
  • Options
    Uni is pretty crazy. Well at least, it can be, if you want it to be. That's what I'm finding anyway. If you want to go out and get plastered every night, there's always an opportunity to do so, but personally my health and my bank account can't quite take the strain so I keep it to a few nights a week.

I'm surprised at the amount of work I have, though. People kept telling me that first year was a doss but it really doesn't seem that way to me - I've to work pretty bloody hard, actually. I'm feeling really stressed now as it nears the end of term and I have deadlines and a few exams to worry about too... gaaah I don't feel like it's only been 6 weeks, it feels like aaaages.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    A highly reputable one, dontcha know.

Nah, the workload is slowly creeping up, got a whole stack of essays, so even I've only got a handful of classes each week, I'm still in the library most days at the moment.

I've only spent one day in the library so far, lol.

Got another pub crawl tonight... 12 destinations! Will be fun...

Need to remember to do that essay before I go home this weekend...
  • Options
    Originally posted by lisa simpson's saxophone
    Uni is pretty crazy. Well at least, it can be, if you want it to be. That's what I'm finding anyway. If you want to go out and get plastered every night, there's always an opportunity to do so, but personally my health and my bank account can't quite take the strain so I keep it to a few nights a week.

I'm surprised at the amount of work I have, though. People kept telling me that first year was a doss but it really doesn't seem that way to me.

That about sums up my feelings of uni too. Having a great time, just about balancing work and play, trying not to push my health and pennies too far and generally making the most of it!

Huddersfield :lol: (no offense to anyone that goes there or anything, but :lol: )
  • Options
    Try doing Primary Education! (Teacher training!) that is a completely diffrent story its awful!!!!

So busy! :(
  • Options
    Am i the only one who isnt enjoyin uni then? I find it really dull. I've only been there two months and already it feels like a chore to wake up in the morning and go in. :confused::(
  • Options
    Originally posted by emj
    Am i the only one who isnt enjoyin uni then? I find it really dull. I've only been there two months and already it feels like a chore to wake up in the morning and go in. :confused::(

Waking up's a chore for anybody at uni!
  • Options
    Did you expect to be going to bed excited in anticipation of lectures the following day?

Uni's just like an extension of college really, combined with a lot of growing up and becoming independent, particularly if you move away. It's definitely a chore for me to get up, but I'm not exactly a morning person!
  • Options
    Did you expect to be going to bed excited in anticipation of lectures the following day?

OK OK so i phrased it wrong. I just mean im not enjoying it.