Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni's that are good for sport?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I know im planning ahead but what unis are good for sport degrees? And does anyone know about the different sport degrees?

And what about maths? Is it boring?

thanks in advance
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Loughborough is good for sport. You could check out their webiste.

But one bad thing I thought about Loughborough when I looked around is that the accomodation is on the same site as the uni. Just something to bare in mind if u like the look of the place.
    If you want to know about maths talk to Bopperz - He's doing maths.

The Times Good University Guide is quite reliable for knowing which institutions are good for which subjects.

Good University Guide

Hope that helps :)
    Indeed I am doing Maths, how come you want to do a degree in two totally differant subjects?
    I have no idea what level of Maths you are studying at, but it kind of just carrys on from A-levels and large chunks of it can be really abstract and pointless. If your really serious about doing Maths then you'll need to be gettin a B at A-level probably.

Is it boring?

mmmm It has more lectures than other subjects and I seem to have early starts everyday. But you do no reading :) and you don't have to write massive long essays.

Bopz :) (Feels like a roadkill, Creation ruled! :))

P.S. Any specific questions feel free to ask!
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Indeed I am doing Maths, how come you want to do a degree in two totally differant subjects?
    I have no idea what level of Maths you are studying at, but it kind of just carrys on from A-levels and large chunks of it can be really abstract and pointless. If your really serious about doing Maths then you'll need to be gettin a B at A-level probably.

Is it boring?

mmmm It has more lectures than other subjects and I seem to have early starts everyday. But you do no reading :) and you don't have to write massive long essays.

Bopz :) (Feels like a roadkill, Creation ruled! :))

P.S. Any specific questions feel free to ask!

Well I love PE and am doing well in it at GCSE level. And I am also very good at maths so i would find it easier than any other degree prob. I want to be a pilot so i just need a degree. I am on for an A* in Maths at Gcse and am going to do it at A-level definetly. I just heard that its boring. (thus why im looking at PE)
    But one bad thing I thought about Loughborough when I looked around is that the accomodation is on the same site as the uni
    Why is having accommodation on the same site as the uni bad? :confused:
    Hi, I've always been interested in both Maths and PE too, so it's not that odd a combination!

I'm studying at Bangor University doing a Sports Science degree. If you're interested in Sport it's a good course to take and apparently I think our department came second or third in the country in one of the recent reports.

Yeah, Loughborough is well known for being good for Sports degrees, and Birmingham is also very good. One thing you need to be aware of is that some Universities assess your practical sports skills (I don't know whether you want that or not - personally I didn't, so Bangor is ideal for me as it's all theory based but everything we do is related to sport).

At our University you can do a joint honour degree in both Maths and Sports Science which means your time is split between the two departments. People doing that course seem to enjoy it, the slight drawback is there's less choice of modules within each department I think.

The best thing I can suggest is to just research different University's and the courses they offer - well done for planning forward so much and good luck with choosing where to go!!
    Originally posted by Luce
    Why is having accommodation on the same site as the uni bad? :confused:

Not saying it'll be bad for everyone but I personally wouldn't want to live right next to the building where I have lectures.
    The people doing the joint honours have less choive about their modules here, they also seem to have to do some of the harder modules as there core stuff. So maybe a joint degree might be harder overall?

As for ya GCSE's your doing fine, but the step up to A-level is quite big let alone to degree, and you still got two years to think things through. I was a few marks under an A* at GCSE, I got a C at A-level and Degree level maths is quite hard. I thought I was good at maths (then I did A-levels), I suggest you wait a little while......

Maths does have a bad rep, but thats more to do with the type of people that the cource attracts. Walk into the archietecture building and they turned up at mid-day and are sticking bits of cardboard together, walk into the maths block and its full of people doing work.

Bopz
    Originally posted by RepeatToFade
    Not saying it'll be bad for everyone but I personally wouldn't want to live right next to the building where I have lectures.

being at loughbourough thought i better comment

and you aren't exactly living right next to the building you have lectures in, the halls of residence are grouped into villages about campus, and its a lot more convenient to have a 5 minute walk to lectures than a 20 minute walk from town, its a campus uni, they arent for some people, but i couldnt stand the thought of a city uni when i was applying

(edit) i forgot to add that 95% of students in the second year live off campus in private housing because there isnt enough room in halls for everyone so freshers and finalists have priority

as for sport theyve built so many new sports facilities over the past couple of years, olympic swimming pool, ecb cricket academy, indoor atheltics, indoor tennis, 2 water based astroturf pitches, and they seem to win everything they go against the other unis in
    My Halls are about 3 minutes away from the lectures which is fantastic - it means you can stay in bed right up until the last minute. I've even chosen to stay in the exact same room for a second year, and may well do so for my final year also. (There are obvious other advantages such as having the library facilities, 24 hr computer room, labs for practicals and everything on site).
    UWIC (cardiff ) offers a good sports degree
    uni of gloucestershire is meant to be one of the best for sport1 its a wicked uni too.. the sport stuff is all brand new was only built last year!